Old 27-04-2004, 08:04 PM
Den

Default New to California

Group:

Slight OT post ... so, having moved to LA from England, and having largely
completed the unpacking we've started to turn our attention to the garden.
Last night while planting in the twilight I got eaten alive by mosquitoes
(or at any rate little insecty things). I'm not too keen on slapping on
anti-bug stuff all over myself ... what do other folks do to keep the
mosquitoes at bay? Are these blue zapper lights any good?

TIA

Den

PS: Now I understand why the windows have screens!

Old 27-04-2004, 08:06 PM
David Ross

Den wrote:

Group:

Slight OT post ... so, having moved to LA from England, and having largely
completed the unpacking we've started to turn our attention to the garden.
Last night while planting in the twilight I got eaten alive by mosquitoes
(or at any rate little insecty things). I'm not too keen on slapping on
anti-bug stuff all over myself ... what do other folks do to keep the
mosquitoes at bay? Are these blue zapper lights any good?

TIA

Den

PS: Now I understand why the windows have screens!

What part of California? Our climates vary from alpine, through
Mediterranean and near-tropical, to desert.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

Old 28-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Richard Cline

"Den" wrote in message

We live in Southern California and find that the region is remakrably
free of mosquitoes. In visiting other parts of the country I am usually
eaten alive. Here, I can wonder around in the evenings and almost never
encounter a mosquito. It must be that the particular location where you
live has lots of standing water. The dry climate of California usually
provides very few natural places for breeding.

Dick

Old 28-04-2004, 06:05 AM
Bob

"Lisa" wrote in message
. ..

LOLOL I can't imagine summer without mosquitoes. I like using

citronella
candles, they can help and create a nice atmosphere as well.

There are
citronella plants as well, lemon geraniums, and believe it or

not......Avon
Skin So Soft.

Gaaack! I play volleyball with someone that uses citronella bug
repellant. The stuff smells so bad I feel like gagging.

Bob

Old 28-04-2004, 06:08 AM
Snooze

"Den" wrote in message
Group:

Slight OT post ... so, having moved to LA from England, and having largely
completed the unpacking we've started to turn our attention to the garden.
Last night while planting in the twilight I got eaten alive by mosquitoes
(or at any rate little insecty things). I'm not too keen on slapping on
anti-bug stuff all over myself ... what do other folks do to keep the
mosquitoes at bay? Are these blue zapper lights any good?

First of all, let me give you the official California greeting, "Welcome to
California, now go home!"

Bug zappers work reasonably well, although the sound of the bugs getting
burnt a little squeamish. So if you intend to use one, keep it a little
further away from where you typically sit. Citronella candles don't work too
well, unless the weather is calm.

Anyways the mosquito season is just about over, the smaller creeks, and
storm drains are all starting to dry out. Check your property for any
buckets or pots that has any water in them, even an centimeter or two, is
enough. If you have a bird feeder, be sure to empty it every few days and
replace it with fresh water.

Old 28-04-2004, 07:03 PM
David Ross

Den wrote:

Err ... Los Angeles.

"David Ross" wrote in message
Den wrote:

Group:

Slight OT post ... so, having moved to LA from England, and having

largely
completed the unpacking we've started to turn our attention to the

garden.
Last night while planting in the twilight I got eaten alive by

mosquitoes
(or at any rate little insecty things). I'm not too keen on slapping on
anti-bug stuff all over myself ... what do other folks do to keep the
mosquitoes at bay? Are these blue zapper lights any good?

TIA

Den

PS: Now I understand why the windows have screens!

What part of California? Our climates vary from alpine, through
Mediterranean and near-tropical, to desert.

After this week's extreme heat and extremely low humidity, I think
the problem will soon be gone. Although mosquitos are occasionally
annoying in southern California, they are not a serious problem
unless you live adjacent to a persistent wetland or some other
breeding area (e.g., ornamental pond without fish).

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.

Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Batt Meals

Den wrote:
Group:

Slight OT post ... so, having moved to LA from England, and having largely
completed the unpacking we've started to turn our attention to the garden.
Last night while planting in the twilight I got eaten alive by mosquitoes
(or at any rate little insecty things). I'm not too keen on slapping on
anti-bug stuff all over myself ... what do other folks do to keep the
mosquitoes at bay? Are these blue zapper lights any good?

TIA

Den

PS: Now I understand why the windows have screens!

Get the _Western_Garden_Book_ published by Sunset. Figure out what
microclimate you are in -- the exact growing conditions can vary greatly
in the distance of just a few miles. The greater LA map has 10
different climates listed. Climate varies by distance to the ocean,
canyons, and altitude.

Drip irrigation is very important to conserve water.

If you have mosquitos, eliminate all standing water. West Nile virus
has been detected in southern California.

-matt