Old 28-04-2004, 09:04 AM
Emil

Default Help with fruit trees!

Hi,

I live in Southern, CA, zones 9-10. I have a 3 fruit trees and 2 lemon trees
in my backyard. The fruit trees are peach, nectarine and plum. They recieve
adequate amounts of water plus are fed regularly. My problem is, when the
trees give buds that eventually turn into fruit (I don't know the correct
term) those buds just dry up. The trees don't produce fruit. I feed them
with Bandini fruit/citrus tree food. Is there anything I can add to the soil
to give the trees a "boost" in order for the fruits to develop?

Thanks,
Emil

Old 28-04-2004, 05:03 PM
Richard Cline

In article , "Emil"
wrote:

Let us assume that the trees came from good grafted stock. (Natural
seedlings may not ever be productive.) Lemon trees are very easy to
grow and usually highly productive. Peach, nectaring, and plum are easy
to grow. The stone fruit may be varities that require more chill than
you are getting. It my also be that you are over feeding your trees. I
have peach, nectarine, and plum that I never feed. It is a major job
each spring to thin the fruit as the fruit set is greater than the tree
can support. I use deep watering with two to three weeks between
watering.

There are lots of additional questions. Do the trees get sunshine? Are
the varities suitable for the area? Do you prune the trees adequately?
How old are the trees?

Dick

Old 28-04-2004, 06:02 PM
simy1

"Emil" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I live in Southern, CA, zones 9-10. I have a 3 fruit trees and 2 lemon trees
in my backyard. The fruit trees are peach, nectarine and plum. They recieve
adequate amounts of water plus are fed regularly. My problem is, when the
trees give buds that eventually turn into fruit (I don't know the correct
term) those buds just dry up. The trees don't produce fruit. I feed them
with Bandini fruit/citrus tree food. Is there anything I can add to the soil
to give the trees a "boost" in order for the fruits to develop?

Thanks,
Emil

I am betting is too much nitrogen. those citrus fertilizers are
N-rich. Try stop fertilizing them for one year.
Old 02-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Emil

"Richard Cline" wrote in message
In article , "Emil"
wrote:

Let us assume that the trees came from good grafted stock. (Natural
seedlings may not ever be productive.) Lemon trees are very easy to
grow and usually highly productive. Peach, nectaring, and plum are easy
to grow. The stone fruit may be varities that require more chill than
you are getting. It my also be that you are over feeding your trees. I
have peach, nectarine, and plum that I never feed. It is a major job
each spring to thin the fruit as the fruit set is greater than the tree
can support. I use deep watering with two to three weeks between
watering.

There are lots of additional questions. Do the trees get sunshine? Are
the varities suitable for the area? Do you prune the trees adequately?
How old are the trees?

Dick

Hi Richard,

The peach, nectarine and plum are in there 2nd year of growth. The first
year they didn't give fruit either. I have 2 lemon trees. One of them we
brought with us to our new house when we moved here 3 years ago. At the old
house it was giving lemons, now it's been 3 years with nothing. I think it
suffered some stress or was planted wrong? The tree is alive, it does give
the white flowers but again no lemons develop. The other lemon tree was
given to us, it's also in it's second year at our house. This lemon tree
does not give any white flowers, it just sits there! The trees get enough
sunshine. I bought them from a local nursery, so I think they should be
suitable for my area.

I'll follow yours and the other posters advice. Maybe I am feeding to much,
I'll stop feeding them and see what happens. It's been hot here in Southern,
CA so I water them every other day. Should I do a deep watering like you? If
so, how exactly would I deep water them?

Thanks,
Emil

Old 02-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Richard Cline

In article , "Emil"
wrote:

Your trees are young so that would give them an excuse for low
production. However, you definitely should be getting fruit on all the
trees. Cut back or eliminate the fertilizer. On mature trees I would
water once each two to three weeks. Trees like yours could stand
watering once a week.

Water with a very low volume for a long time period so that the water
soaks in well. Your watering may depend on your soil. In a sandy soil
you can add water fairly fast while a clay soil absorbs water very
slowly. Many people use drippers for orchard irrigation. Allow the
soil to dry before adding more water.