Old 29-04-2004, 02:03 PM
Ray Jenkins

Default Killing redbuds? ? ?

We have a weed which is almost a tree. My wife thinks it is called redbud.
The trunk is tube-type, almost like bamboo, but the leaves look almost like
a maple leaf.

We cut it back, but it always comes back stronger. Standard weed-killers
don't seem to work.

If anyone has any ideas about how to kill this monster, we'd like to hear
them.

Old 29-04-2004, 04:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Not sure what the plant is, nor where it is growing (state) as this impinges
on herbicide use and availability....but...try Crossbow or another 2,4-D
based material if legal for use in tour area.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 29-04-2004, 04:03 PM
escapee

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 11:35:16 GMT, "Ray Jenkins"
opined:

We have a weed which is almost a tree. My wife thinks it is called redbud.
The trunk is tube-type, almost like bamboo, but the leaves look almost like
a maple leaf.

We cut it back, but it always comes back stronger. Standard weed-killers
don't seem to work.

If anyone has any ideas about how to kill this monster, we'd like to hear
them.

Redbuds have heart shaped leaves.
Old 29-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
We have a weed which is almost a tree. My wife thinks it is called redbud.
The trunk is tube-type, almost like bamboo, but the leaves look almost

like
a maple leaf.

We cut it back, but it always comes back stronger. Standard weed-killers
don't seem to work.

If anyone has any ideas about how to kill this monster, we'd like to hear
them.

The tube-like stem sounds very much like Japanese knotweed, Polygonum
cuspidatum, although the leaves a more spade shaped than maple-like in
appearance. Will generate groves and produces foamy white flowers. This is a
serious noxious weed in many parts of the country. Do a google search under
the common name - you will turn up dozens of sites addressing this invasive
species and suggested methods of control. Not an easy plant to get a handle
on, tho.

FWIW, redbud is the common name for a rather desirable small ornamental
tree, Cercis species and cultivars. Solid woody truck and stems and hot pink
flowers in early spring before it leafs out. Not typically considered a
weed by most authorities :-))

pam - gardengal

Old 29-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Brian

This sounds very much like Japanese Knotweed. Quite the most pernicious weed
ever. Keep cutting it down and fill the hollow stems with Roundup and
eventually you will gain control. Do not try to dig it up~~just makes
matters worse and every small piece grows.
Best Wishes.

Old 29-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Gerry

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

Could be Giant Hogweed? Are you anywhere near a river or
watercourse?

--
Gerry
www.garden-guide.net

Old 30-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Frogleg

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 14:52:41 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

FWIW, redbud is the common name for a rather desirable small ornamental
tree, Cercis species and cultivars. Solid woody truck and stems and hot pink
flowers in early spring before it leafs out. Not typically considered a
weed by most authorities :-))

And *very* easy to kill.

Old 30-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Brian

If you have had difficulty killing it then it probably isn't Cercis~~~ A
desirable small tree, {Leguminocae] and not like your description. A photo
would get results from many of us. Even a scan of a leaf is sometimes
sufficient.
Best Wishes

Old 01-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Frogleg

"Frogleg" wrote

wrote:

FWIW, redbud is the common name for a rather desirable small ornamental
tree, Cercis species and cultivars. Solid woody truck and stems and hot

pink
flowers in early spring before it leafs out. Not typically considered a
weed by most authorities :-))

And *very* easy to kill.

How do I kill it?

I should have quoted all of Pam's msg. Your problem is not with Cercis
canadensis (Eastern redbud), which is susceptible to several
tree-killing diseases. Mine was the most expensive item in a
landscaping plan, and just got sicker and sicker until it died. Even
the ag college couldn't diagnose its problem.