Old 29-04-2004, 03:02 PM
ted

Default The look of crepe myrtle

I live in Texas zone 7b. We have crepe myrtles all over the city. I
noticed that the ones that are maintained in public areas and
businesses don't have any suckers at the bottom of the tree and they
look so neat. In my house it's another story. Each tall crepe myrtle
has atlteast 20 suckers at the bottom. I know if I get rid of those
the tree will grow better. I keep cutting them and pulling them from
their root. But the roots are attached to the tree's roots. They just
keep coming back.

How does one keep the suckers away and maintain a clean look at the
base of the tree?

Thanks.
Old 29-04-2004, 05:07 PM
David J Bockman

My experiences with the tree seem to indicate that if you catch it early
enough, the tree tends to slow down/stop the sucker throwing after a couple
of years. CM's have a strong propensity to sucker from the base of the trees
and from the roots in the prescence of lots of moisture.

Dave

"ted" wrote in message
om...
I live in Texas zone 7b. We have crepe myrtles all over the city. I
noticed that the ones that are maintained in public areas and
businesses don't have any suckers at the bottom of the tree and they
look so neat. In my house it's another story. Each tall crepe myrtle
has atlteast 20 suckers at the bottom. I know if I get rid of those
the tree will grow better. I keep cutting them and pulling them from
their root. But the roots are attached to the tree's roots. They just
keep coming back.

How does one keep the suckers away and maintain a clean look at the
base of the tree?

Thanks.

[IMG] code is On

crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 2 27-08-2003 04:32 AM
crepe myrtle Marion Margoshes Gardening 0 25-08-2003 05:02 PM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
crepe myrtle kate Gardening 12 14-04-2003 01:44 AM
Do I Prune Crepe Myrtle or Not??? corky Lawns 3 02-01-2003 01:55 AM