Old 30-04-2004, 12:02 AM
Ray Jenkins

Default My redbud problem? ? ?

Earlier today I posted an inquiry about how to get rid of a weed which my
wife calls a redbud, but I don't think that's right. Others think it may be
Japanese knotweed.

I have put together a small web page which shows a photo of the weed. I
welcome anyone to have a look and see if you can advise me. The link is as
follows:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/weed/weed.html

Old 30-04-2004, 12:03 AM
Brian

'Twas probably my fault but I could not retrieve the picture. Just your
words and a blank page of pop-up bathing costumes.!!
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to respond.

Old 30-04-2004, 02:03 AM
Ray Jenkins

Thanks Brian -- That's peculiar. I clicked the link, and it opened right
away.

Are you using Internet Explorer browser? I find that sometimes Netscape
Mozilla won't open pages correctly.

-- Ray

Old 30-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Nora

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:19:40 GMT, "Ray Jenkins"
wrote:

Thanks Brian -- That's peculiar. I clicked the link, and it opened right
away.

That's because it's reading it from your computer. Look at the path to
your image file:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/weed/weed.jpg
You need to put your photo on your web server, and link from it there.

Old 30-04-2004, 02:05 AM
Nora

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:36:56 GMT, Nora
wrote:

That's because it's reading it from your computer. Look at the path to
your image file:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/weed/weed.jpg
You need to put your photo on your web server, and link from it there.

Found it:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/weed/weed.jpg

Old 30-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Sed5555

Appears to be one of the Polygonum weeds (aka smartweed, mexican bamboo,
japanese knotweed, mile-a-minute weed). These noxious weeds are in the
buckwheat family and are annuals. Control can be achieved by persistent pulling
and mowing to keep them from going to seed.
sed5555

Old 30-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

news
wrote:

That's because it's reading it from your computer. Look at the path to
your image file:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/weed/weed.jpg
You need to put your photo on your web server, and link from it there.

Found it:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/weed/weed.jpg

Now that I can see the image, it is defintely Japanese knotweed, Polygonum
cuspidatum. This is not an annual but a perennial weed that can become
shrubby in time. Pulling is not the answer - you can actually increase its
spread by inadvertantly leaving portions of the root rhizomes either above
or underground. This is a plant that calls for and responds to herbicide
applications, typically repeat applications. As mentioned previously,
control is not easy, but you don't appear to have a huge problem.....yet.
This link may help:

http://www.co.clark.wa.us/weed/documents/knotweed.pdf

pam - gardengal

Old 30-04-2004, 06:03 PM

wrote:

That's because it's reading it from your computer. Look at the path to
your image file:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/Desktop/weed/weed.jpg
You need to put your photo on your web server, and link from it there.

Found it:
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/weed/weed.jpg

Aiieee aiiieee, it is the Knotweed. Flee, flee at once.

I am currently battling this persistent weed. If this is all you
have, get rid of it now, before its too late. I can't believe how
hard it is to kill. I do admit that I was a bit lax last year, but
I've learned my lesson. I'm starting early and will stay with it till
its gone.

Swyck
Old 01-05-2004, 04:08 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
Thanks Pam -- the web site looks good.

My problem is much worse than it looks. The main infestation is just

behind
the fence, in my neighbor's yard, and he seems to have no inclination to
control it.

I'd be very surprised if this was not considered a noxious weed where you
are located - it is listed as such pretty well anywhere in the US that it
grows. If so, your neighbor may be required to remove this pest. Contact
your local authority with the responsibilty for controlling alien plant
species - most likely the state department of agriculture.

http://www.fs.fed.us/na/morgantown/f...knot/jknot.htm

pam - gardengal

Old 01-05-2004, 04:11 AM
Brian

Japanese Knotweed can become a major problem if the eradication process is
not sustained~~ even though I have known it to take four years with
Roundup[The best]. Leave it untroubled and your only solution is to move
house!!
With us in SW England [Cornwall] it has become such a problem that the
authorities have undertaken the spraying and have been many years in the
process. It is also prohibited to dig up and disperse any parts of the
plant. Even its ashes seem to have the ability to Phoenix!!
I am relieved that others knew how to make a picture available. I have a
scanner but beyond that I'm lost.
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to respond.
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

news

Old 01-05-2004, 04:15 AM
Ray Jenkins

Posting web pages is fairly easy once you get the hang of it. You must first
have an ISP (mine is Verizon) which gives you personal web space. The you
need an editing tool -- Mozilla's Composer is good. And then you need
SmartFTP for uploading and managing.

That photo was not scanned, by the way, but shot with my digital camera.

"Brian" wrote in message
Japanese Knotweed can become a major problem if the eradication process is
not sustained~~ even though I have known it to take four years with
Roundup[The best]. Leave it untroubled and your only solution is to move
house!!
With us in SW England [Cornwall] it has become such a problem that the
authorities have undertaken the spraying and have been many years in the
process. It is also prohibited to dig up and disperse any parts of the
plant. Even its ashes seem to have the ability to Phoenix!!
I am relieved that others knew how to make a picture available. I have a
scanner but beyond that I'm lost.
Best Wishes Brian 'flayb' to respond.
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

news

Old 01-05-2004, 04:16 AM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from "Brian" contains these words:

Japanese Knotweed can become a major problem if the eradication process is
not sustained~~ even though I have known it to take four years with
Roundup[The best]. Leave it untroubled and your only solution is to move
house!!

And that's despite the fact that it doesn't spread by seed in the UK.
The nation-wide infestation is supposed to have originated from one
plant. It can erupt through concrete :-(

One of my sons moved into an Edinburgh tenement flat where the small
walled garden was solid, head-high JK. It took four years, but we
managed to eradicate it by first, chopping down and burning all the
plants, then cutting off and destroying every single new stem as it
emerged, **before it could develop any new leaves**.

Janet.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:17 AM
Brian

"Ray Jenkins" wrote in message
Thanks Pam -- the web site looks good.

My problem is much worse than it looks. The main infestation is just

behind
the fence, in my neighbor's yard, and he seems to have no inclination to
control it.

Then I fear you do have a problem. Here we could report the growth and the

neighour would have to take action.
Meanwhile use Roundup on all your side of the fence and possibly the
effect could spread to his side if there is only one common root system. An
altrnative is to approach your neighbour and discuss a cooperative effort.
Best Wishes. Brian 'flayb' to respond.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message

news
wrote:

[...]

[IMG] code is On

redbud trees didn't bloom ?!?! KeybdWizrd Gardening 1 07-05-2003 05:08 AM
redbud trees didn't bloom ?!?! KeybdWizrd Gardening 3 02-05-2003 11:56 PM
Redbud tree in full sun ok? animaux Gardening 2 30-04-2003 12:20 AM
Redbud question spampot Gardening 4 20-04-2003 05:44 PM
Planting a Redbud? whit Texas 5 12-04-2003 08:20 PM