Old 01-05-2004, 05:03 AM
David J Bockman

Default Artemisia 'Powis Castle' - late or late?

My Powis Castle is slow to leaf out this year as well.. however it *has*
started. (also zone 7)

Dave

"Tyra Trevellyn" wrote in message
(Sorry, think this posted a second ago....hit button too soon.)

Last year I planted a single Artemisia 'Powis Castle,' which did quite

well for
a first-year plant. I pruned back the old leafy stems a few weeks back,
leaving a woody, shrubby base, about a foot tall, somewhat branched.

There's
no sign of new growth, however, but fingernail scrapes at the base near

the
soil line show green. Is this variety of artemisia normally late to leaf

out?
(From what I understand, it doesn't send out runners forming new plants,

like
some artemisia species.)

I've never grown it before last year, but artemisia seems to show up early

for
me here. The weather's been mild and pretty much spring-like for the past

two
weeks or more, the ground's been unfrozen for at least a month, and just

about
every else is showing normal signs of renewal.

Thanks for any ideas....
Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

Old 02-05-2004, 12:03 AM
David Ross

Tyra Trevellyn wrote:

[...]

Our ground never freezes, but we might get light frost during the
night from early December until March (or rarely until April).

I cut my artemisia back like you described late last year (November
and December). It took about two weeks before I saw new growth.
Now they look like they were never cut at all. Beautiful! I have
six of them.

Now, I have started pinching them back to keep them under control.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 02-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Tyra Trevellyn

From: oway (Tyra Trevellyn)
Date: Fri, Apr 30, 2004 7:49 PM
[...]

Thanks to David R, David B, and Victoria for words of hope and patience. :-)
Like I said, other artemisias I've grown have appeared early enough in
spring.....but what I didn't say is that they rarely last more than two seasons
or so. The only truly reliably returning and thriving artemisia species I have
is A. dracunculus (French Tarragon).

I'll still keep up some optimism for 'Powis Castle,' though, and in the
meantime I'll take heart from the heavily germinating wormwood I started a
coupla weeks ago from a seed packet. Speaking of which, I also started
Artemisia annua .... Sweet Annie....from seed at the same time, and don't see
more than a couple of seedlings....any experience with this?

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7
Old 03-05-2004, 02:02 AM
escapee

On 02 May 2004 18:19:05 GMT, oway (Tyra Trevellyn) opined:

Thanks to David R, David B, and Victoria for words of hope and patience. :-)
Like I said, other artemisias I've grown have appeared early enough in
spring.....but what I didn't say is that they rarely last more than two seasons
or so. The only truly reliably returning and thriving artemisia species I have
is A. dracunculus (French Tarragon).

I'll still keep up some optimism for 'Powis Castle,' though, and in the
meantime I'll take heart from the heavily germinating wormwood I started a
coupla weeks ago from a seed packet. Speaking of which, I also started
Artemisia annua .... Sweet Annie....from seed at the same time, and don't see
more than a couple of seedlings....any experience with this?

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7

To be honest, this is not generally a long lived perennial plant in moist, cold
winters. It thrives in Texas, but it loves our dry soils. For the most part,
plants which have silver foliage, with our without fuzzy leaves, love drought
conditions...and dryish winter soils, not the wet of NJ or NY...or even the PNW.

Silver mound was very reliable for me up on Long Island, but it needed to be cut
way back after its first flush of rapid growth or it would split down the center
and get rangy looking.

I find most artemesia's appreciate a good haricut about half way through the
natural growing season.

Victoria