Old 01-05-2004, 10:03 PM
James Nipper

Default Bulbs for Blue Ridge Mtns --- When to Plant ?

We have a cabin in the NC Blue Ridge Mtns. As I recall, the time to
plant flower bulbs is in Oct.

Unfortunately, our current schedule (kids in school) does not allow us to
be there in Oct. We are there as late as early August. We are also there
in Dec / March/ late May, and late Jul/early August.

I would like to plant some nice bulbs (like Daffodils, etc) but I don't
know when I could do it.

Thanks for any tips...

Remember......... NC mountains........... 4200 feet above sea level.

--James--

Old 12-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"James Nipper" in
:

We have a cabin in the NC Blue Ridge Mtns. As I recall, the time
to plant flower bulbs is in Oct.

Unfortunately, our current schedule (kids in school) does not allow
us to be there in Oct. We are there as late as early August. We are
also there in Dec / March/ late May, and late Jul/early August.

I would like to plant some nice bulbs (like Daffodils, etc) but I
don't know when I could do it.

Thanks for any tips...

a lot of bulbs are dry dormant. narcissus and amaryliis (for southern
zones) are most famous for that.

august seems fine for dormant bulbs, especially if you don't water them
at all after planting. but where will you buy them?

Remember......... NC mountains........... 4200 feet above sea
level.

shorter season?

also if frost knocks the top off a healthy bulb, i'd think it would still
come up in spring.

--James--