Old 02-05-2004, 03:07 PM
Ken

Default Dwarf Red Japanese Maple

This year, this tree of mine has some branches on it with green leaves
(instead of red leaves). Other than the fact this is unsightly, do I need to
cut off these branches so it won't affect the tree as a whole and cause all
the leaves to turn green? Or, is there something causing these leaves to be
green - something I can do as far as fertilizing or minerals or something to
keep the tree producing red leaves?

Old 02-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Brian

You are correct. Remove green leaved branches~~they would become too
vigorous and spoil the tree. Do they come from near the base? If so they are
from the rootstock. Otherwise could be some form of 'reversion' though I
have never seen this with maples.
Best Wishes.
ink.net...

Old 02-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Any chance it's environmental (i.e. a shade or artificial light effect) and
a genetic reversion? I haven't seen this in palmatum, but I have in other
deciduous Cvs?

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

"Brian" wrote in message
You are correct. Remove green leaved branches~~they would become too
vigorous and spoil the tree. Do they come from near the base? If so they

are
from the rootstock. Otherwise could be some form of 'reversion' though I
have never seen this with maples.
Best Wishes.
ink.net...

Old 02-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Brian

I am sure this is not the cause if only parts are affected. Reversion is the
probability if not from the root-stock.
The loveliest specimen I ever grew came from a seedling in amongst
thousands of green and very normal looking offspring near/under a Norway
Maple.[A.platanoides]
It was dwarf,bright red and with beautifully cut leaves. It was eventually
stolen!!
Best Wishes Brian.

"Brian" wrote in message
You are correct. Remove green leaved branches~~they would become too
vigorous and spoil the tree. Do they come from near the base? If so they

are
from the rootstock. Otherwise could be some form of 'reversion' though I
have never seen this with maples.
Best Wishes.
ink.net...

Old 02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Ken

That's why I wondered if it could be something in the soil (you know, sorta
like what you use to change the color of azaleas - I think, or it could be
some other plant that some minerals changes the color of).

"Brian" wrote in message
You are correct. Remove green leaved branches~~they would become too
vigorous and spoil the tree. Do they come from near the base? If so they

are
from the rootstock. Otherwise could be some form of 'reversion' though I
have never seen this with maples.
Best Wishes.
ink.net...

Old 02-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Brian

Remove them and tidy up the wounds.
Best Wishes Brian
nk.net...
"Brian" wrote in message
You are correct. Remove green leaved branches~~they would become too
vigorous and spoil the tree. Do they come from near the base? If so they

are
from the rootstock. Otherwise could be some form of 'reversion' though I
have never seen this with maples.
Best Wishes.
ink.net...

Old 02-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Babberney

On Sun, 2 May 2004 16:10:52 +0100, "Brian"
wrote:

Remove them and tidy up the wounds.
Best Wishes Brian

I'm not sure what "tidy up" means here, but the best way to remove
tree branches is to make a proper cut just outside the branch collar
and leave it at that. For more info, see link in sig below.

For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/
Old 03-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Ken" wrote in message
nk.net...
They are from the bottom row of branches.

Since virtually all cultivars of Japanese maples are grafted on to a more
stable rootstock and the dwarf laceleaf cultivars tend to have high grafts,
the green reversions could very well be orginating from the graft union.
Remove them cleanly at the branch collar.

pam - gardengal

"Brian" wrote in message
You are correct. Remove green leaved branches~~they would become too
vigorous and spoil the tree. Do they come from near the base? If so they

are
from the rootstock. Otherwise could be some form of 'reversion' though I
have never seen this with maples.
Best Wishes.
ink.net...