GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   How to sow seeds evenly - using a self made seed tape? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60425-re-how-sow-seeds-evenly-using-self-made-seed-tape.html)

eclectic 02-05-2004 09:03 PM

How to sow seeds evenly - using a self made seed tape?

"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
Frogleg wrote in
:

Suggestions about mixing with sand or cornmeal are meant for making
sure tiny, tiny seeds like carrot don't all end up in a clump, as
they're rather difficult to control with fingers.

I saw some Martha Stewart brand seeds at K-mart that were embedded in a
roll of tape. Just unroll and plant the tape. Might be old news, but I
thought it was interesting. Quite a healthly markup price-wise as well.

Your comment about seeds embedded in a roll of tape reminded me
of a process of making your own tapes for carrot seeds. I think radish
seeds were also spaced along the line to be used as markers because
they are fast to germinate.
The tape making involved 2 ply toilet tissue being rolled out, misted with
water and then folded in thirds over the centrally spaced seeds. Has
anyone had success with this technique or other self-made seed tapes?

Regards.