Old 03-05-2004, 12:04 AM
James Nipper

Default When to plant bulbs for NC Mountains -- Blue Ridge ????

We have a cabin in the NC Blue Ridge Mtns. As I recall, the time to
plant flower bulbs is in Oct.

Unfortunately, our current schedule (kids in school) does not allow us to
be there in Oct. We are there as late as early August. We are also there
in Dec / March/ late May, and late Jul/early August.

I would like to plant some nice bulbs (like Daffodils, etc) but I don't
know when I could do it.

Thanks for any tips...

Remember......... NC mountains........... 4200 feet above sea level.

--James--

Old 03-05-2004, 12:04 AM
madgardener

"James Nipper" wrote in message

We have a cabin in the NC Blue Ridge Mtns. As I recall, the time to
plant flower bulbs is in Oct.

Unfortunately, our current schedule (kids in school) does not allow us

be there in Oct. We are there as late as early August. We are also

there
in Dec / March/ late May, and late Jul/early August.

I would like to plant some nice bulbs (like Daffodils, etc) but I don't
know when I could do it.

You can do it in December. Order or purchase your bulbs around August thru
September, store them in your vegetable drawer in your fridge (no fruit, the
fruit emits a gas that kills the flower bud in the bulb) and come December,
take your bulbs with you to your cabin, with a good planter. If you're going
to plant a LOT of bulbs, I'd say invest in an auger that fits on a drill and
go to town! A little pinch of time release bulb food into the holes and
you're set for spring! I've planted bulbs as late as New Year's Day and had
them bloom for me just fine, the second year they settled themselves and
came up and bloomed better. Don't forget to fertilize in the fall of the
next year.....

Thanks for any tips...

Remember......... NC mountains........... 4200 feet above sea level.

that won't make a difference in the North Carolina mountains. Now the
ROCKIES.............that's a different story altogether g

madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 AM
fran

If you can get a spade in the ground in Dec, you can plant the bulbs.

Old 03-05-2004, 04:02 AM
James Nipper

Thank you very much for these replies, and I will look for more comments if
anyone has any.

Looks like Dec may be the trick for me.... sometimes it is mild, and I can
get a spade or auger in the ground......... other times it is frozen. But it
least gives me a "window" to consider.

Thanks again !!!

--James---