Old 03-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Ed Christie

Default magnolia tree

We have had a magnolia tree in the ground about 4 years now. It was
about 6 feet high when we planted it, and now it is probably over 8
feet. Every year it gets new growth but no flowers. Is it still too
young? Is there some type of fertizilizer that I should be using to
encourage flowering?

Ed Christie
Old 03-05-2004, 02:05 AM
David Hill

Magnolia can take up to 10 years to come into flower, depending on the
variety.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 03-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Ed Christie" wrote in message

We have had a magnolia tree in the ground about 4 years now. It was
about 6 feet high when we planted it, and now it is probably over 8
feet. Every year it gets new growth but no flowers. Is it still too
young? Is there some type of fertizilizer that I should be using to
encourage flowering?

Ed Christie

You don't say where you are located or the type of magnolia, but you should
be aware that some forms of early blooming magnolias can have their blossoms
damaged by late frosts. And as the other poster stated, some species can
take a considerable time to reach flowering maturity, however many of the
more popular, commonly sold species (x soulangiana, x loebneri, stellata)
will flower at a very young age. They also tend to be the ones most often
affected by cold damage to flower buds.

pam - gardengal

Old 03-05-2004, 05:02 PM

I bought one in bloom to plant out in the burbs. a soulangiana. I put it behind a
row of trees that would shade it early in the year and it is more of an understory
tree and it has always bloomed later than others I see plunked out into the middle
of the lawn. no late frost damage. Milwaukee is full of soulangiana because the
lake moderates the temp and last frosts are unusual.. drive 15 miles west and they
get hit pretty bad.

"Pam - gardengal" wrote:

"Ed Christie" wrote in message
.. .

We have had a magnolia tree in the ground about 4 years now. It was
about 6 feet high when we planted it, and now it is probably over 8
feet. Every year it gets new growth but no flowers. Is it still too
young? Is there some type of fertizilizer that I should be using to
encourage flowering?

Ed Christie

You don't say where you are located or the type of magnolia, but you should
be aware that some forms of early blooming magnolias can have their blossoms
damaged by late frosts. And as the other poster stated, some species can
take a considerable time to reach flowering maturity, however many of the
more popular, commonly sold species (x soulangiana, x loebneri, stellata)
will flower at a very young age. They also tend to be the ones most often
affected by cold damage to flower buds.

pam - gardengal

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:02 AM
gregpresley

I planted a soulangeana (rustica rubra) in 1997 which was a good-sized
balled-and-burlapped number which failed to bloom for six years. (We moved
away from that house in 1999 without ever seeing a bloom). However, it grew
very well. Finally the past two years it has begun to bloom, with quite
beautiful large blossoms. It is now about 10 feet tall with nearly the same
spread. It was not a case of winter-damaged buds, because the flower buds
develop in the fall, and they were never present in those earlier years.
However, I'm grateful I'm not living there, because the blooms appear much
lighter pink than I had envisioned. I have been searching for a long time
for a beautiful large tree-sized cultivar I passed regularly in Tallahassee,
Florida, with deep purple buds, which opened deep purple - not pink - like
beautiful purple tulips.

Old 04-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Bill Spohn

I have been searching for a long time
for a beautiful large tree-sized cultivar I passed regularly in Tallahassee,
Florida, with deep purple buds, which opened deep purple - not pink - like
beautiful purple tulips.

Lilliflora nigra comes close to what you want. It also blooms at a young age.
Old 05-05-2004, 07:03 AM
gregpresley

I'm aware of liliflora nigra, but this was quite a large tree - at least 25
feet tall with a single trunk, while liliflora is usually shrubby and
multi-trunked where I have seen it.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:07 PM
David J Bockman

Could this have been Magnolia 'Galaxy'?

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/galaxy.html

"The National Arboretum presents Magnolia 'Galaxy', unique in form and
flower among cultivated magnolias. 'Galaxy' is a single-stemmed, tree-form
magnolia with ascending branches, the perfect shape for narrow planting
sites. In spring, dark red-purple flowers appear after danger of frost,
providing a pleasing and long-lasting display. Choose 'Galaxy' to shape up
your landscape!"

Dave

Old 06-05-2004, 10:03 AM
gregpresley

Thanks for the link, but, no, I don't think it was this tree. First of all,
the tree I'm talking about was full-grown in 1992 when this cultivar was
released. No, it must be an old but rare cultivar of Magnolia soulangeana.
Some descriptions of M.s.Lennei mention deep purple buds, but I have never
seen it in flower to compare with my memory, and I have never seen it for
sale in a nursery. What always struck be about this tree, other than the
dark purple buds, is that it didn't give the pink and white impression that
almost all saucer magnolias make when most of the flowers are fully open,
but stayed in that darker color range. I'm even wondering if it might have
been some cultivar of magnolia campbellei.
. ..

Old 12-05-2004, 05:03 PM
G Wolmershaeuser

gregpresley schrieb:

... stayed in that darker color range. I'm even wondering if it might have
been some cultivar of magnolia campbellei.

I'm pretty sure it was a M. campbellii hybrid: Possibly one of the new Jury
or Blumhardt hybrids like 'Vulcan' or 'Black Tulip'. Have a look at
http://www.magnoliastore.com/
Gotthelf
--
G. Wolmershaeuser

Old 13-05-2004, 10:02 AM
gregpresley

Thank you for that link, Gotthelf.
The plant I remember looked VERY MUCH like the black tulip variety
pictured on that site. However, I last saw it about 9 years ago, preceding
the release of that cultivar. But that is the exact look of the flower -
purplish red inside and out. It's spectacular. I'll have to see whether this

Old 13-05-2004, 11:02 AM
G Wolmershaeuser

gregpresley wrote:

The plant I remember looked VERY MUCH like the black tulip variety
pictured on that site. However, I last saw it about 9 years ago, preceding
the release of that cultivar. But that is the exact look of the flower -
purplish red inside and out. It's spectacular. I'll have to see whether this
"black tulip" variety will ever be released in the US.

Hello,
you are right. "Black Tulip" is an eye catcher. This Cross was made by
Jury, New Zealand. Other hybrids produced by one of the Jury's like
"Apollo" or "Athene" are readily available in your country. So I expect
this one also to be on sale. Did you check the nursery list of the magnolia
society?
http://www.magnoliasociety.org/source_list.html
Gotthelf
--
G. Wolmershaeuser

[IMG] code is On

Magnolia Tree Jim Hamer Gardening 3 26-07-2003 05:22 PM
Magnolia or other Tree suggestions Peter Gardening 19 18-07-2003 03:42 PM
small magnolia tree growing Lewis Spurlin Jr North Carolina 1 29-04-2003 03:20 PM
Magnolia tree on the move BB North Carolina 1 25-04-2003 07:56 PM
Young Magnolia Tree SarahF Gardening 1 02-04-2003 02:56 AM