Old 03-05-2004, 03:03 AM
ted

Default compost on lawn

I have never used compost on my lawn. It's a 3 year old lawn. We have
lot of clay in this area (zone 7b/8a). There's quite a bit of rocks
too thanks to the lousy builder.

Whenever we mow, we leave the grass clippings on the lawn. We want to
use compost also this year to see if it makes any difference to the
health of the lawn.

How much compost should I add to the lawn? How should I do it? When
should I do it? Any other info you can provide would be great.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Brian

The action of worms should soon cover any stones. Very large ones remove by
hand.
That you leave the cuttings in situ means that you are removing no
nutrients and so none should be needed. Clay is the final stage of rock
deterioration before it becomes minerals~~so no fertiliser may be needed.
The grass should improve with nothing added though top dressing will
expedite the improvement.
We have very fine lawns, centuries old, that have never been treated by
myself, parents or g,parents. The mower set to a height that would not shame
a pool table!! Cut three times a week.
Best Wishes Brian.
om...

Old 04-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Tom Jasz

On Mon, 03 May 2004 12:37:10 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

even though the compost
was very hot and steamy.

Which means it was NOT conpost as it was unfinished...