Old 03-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Mike Gilmore

Default Chionanthus virginicus - to pot or not to pot?

By all accounts this is a beautiful tree. Mine is just 3' high and making
its first leaf buds just now. It's in a warm location (when the weather
plays ball!) but its growth rate is frustrating and last year it was rather
disappointing from what I can recall. Should I keep faith as I have
just found a second plant based on and encouraged by what it CAN do. The
second plant was as opportunist purchase as it is difficult to obtain here
and I happened to
spot one on my travels and snapped it up. (As you do)! The second
plant is currently located in a large, sunny, double herbaceous border
created
this past winter but I am having second thoughts about leaving it in
position or digging it up and putting in a pot. Any advice or
en/dis-couragment on the matter?

Regards
Mike Gilmore
www.winsfordwalledgarden.freeserve.co.uk

Old 03-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Ann

"Mike Gilmore"
expounded:

By all accounts this is a beautiful tree. Mine is just 3' high and making
its first leaf buds just now. It's in a warm location (when the weather
plays ball!) but its growth rate is frustrating and last year it was rather
disappointing from what I can recall. Should I keep faith as I have
just found a second plant based on and encouraged by what it CAN do.

Mike, I have one too, and you're right, it's very slow. But it's so
worth it in the end, I'm willing to have patience.

The
second plant was as opportunist purchase as it is difficult to obtain here
and I happened to
spot one on my travels and snapped it up. (As you do)!

It's called sticky pot syndrome! G

The second
plant is currently located in a large, sunny, double herbaceous border
created
this past winter but I am having second thoughts about leaving it in
position or digging it up and putting in a pot. Any advice or
en/dis-couragment on the matter?

I'd keep the faith....and put that second one somewhere else!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA