Old 03-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Buck Turgidson

Default Japanese Maple Volunteer

My neighbor has a J. Maple, and every year about this time (Mid-Atlantic), I
find some tiny little volunteers in the lawn and flower beds.

Can I pot these, or even plant them, and hope that they'll grow into a
healthy specimen?

Any tips on the right procedure, root conditioner, fertilizer, etc would be
appreciated.

Old 03-05-2004, 05:03 PM
M.Paul

I have raised a bunch of volunteers from my neighbor's tree.

I've had the best success keeping them in a mostly shaded (only filtered
sunlight) location. For the first year I recommend keeping the soil moist -
they don't react well to drying out. Initially I plant 4 or so of them in a
1gal container. Then after the first year I give the ones that survive
their own 1gal container. After the first year they are very hardy, but I
stake them to keep them upright.

There are many different varieties of Japanese Maples, so YMMV.
Good luck.

s.com...

Old 03-05-2004, 07:02 PM
David J Bockman

These seedlings, if coming from a grafted cultivar, will not be true to the
original form-- doesn't mean you won't have a nice looking tree, mind you.
They vary in vigour widely.

Dave

Old 08-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Buck Turgidson" in
s.com:

My neighbor has a J. Maple, and every year about this time
(Mid-Atlantic), I find some tiny little volunteers in the lawn and
flower beds.

Can I pot these, or even plant them, and hope that they'll grow into a
healthy specimen?

Any tips on the right procedure, root conditioner, fertilizer, etc
would be appreciated.

if they are self seeding, don't baby them. maybe one of them will be a nice
looking cv and tougher than the typical cv.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:03 PM
David J Bockman

Except they won't *be* a cultivar, they would be a insert cultivar name
here from seed. Very different and a big no-no to label or refer to a
seedling from a named cultivar as a true cultivar.

Dave

" wrote in message
"Buck Turgidson" in
s.com:

Old 08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
William Wagner

In article ,
"David J Bockman" wrote:

Except they won't *be* a cultivar, they would be a insert cultivar name
here from seed. Very different and a big no-no to label or refer to a
seedling from a named cultivar as a true cultivar.

Dave

AND if you are lucky they may be better then the mother plant. We have
about 200 of theses rebel's in various stages of growth. LOT'S of FUN.

Cheap too!

Bill

--
Zone 5 In South Jersey USA Shade
Consider all sorts of music at http://xpn.org/
Old 12-05-2004, 04:16 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

" wrote in message

if they are self seeding, don't baby them. maybe one of them will be

nice
looking cv and tougher than the typical cv.

"David J Bockman" in
:

Except they won't *be* a cultivar, they would be a insert cultivar
name here from seed. Very different and a big no-no to label or refer
to a seedling from a named cultivar as a true cultivar.

Dave

a worthy seedling (or mutation) will be named.