Old 03-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Allan Hughes

Default What should I know to get started in growing herbs organically?

I am interested in growing herbs organically, probably indoors.

What do I need? Where do I get it? Resources? Ideas? TIps?

Thanks!

Allan
Old 03-05-2004, 06:02 PM
M. Tiefert

Allan Hughes wrote:
I am interested in growing herbs organically, probably indoors.

What do I need?

Pots, potting soil, small herb plants, water, organic fertilizer (but
herbs generally don't need much fertilizer), enough light, book on
growing herbs

Where do I get it?

Local plant nursery, or local Home Depot or Lowes or similar.

Resources? Ideas? TIps?

Just do it! :-)

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Advice and Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Old 04-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Michelle

most herbs are just useful weeds they are hardy and tolerant to dry
and lots of sun. i
i have mounds of mint baisel sage ect. they
grow well and i do nothing to them but they are out side and i mulch i
have brought in and cultivated some fror neighbors to have and they
grow well even if i forget about them for a few days
have a go at it it's fun and easy i also grow them inside in a
strawberry pot (one with holes all in theside of a vase like pot
they do well in that and it is an attractive house plant to boot
i put rosemary or baisel in the top and just fill in the sides with
parsley and what ever else floats my boat i also like dill and chives
which do well too.
have fun happy cooking
michelle

Old 05-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Phisherman

On Mon, 03 May 2004 11:37:00 -0500, Allan Hughes
wrote:

I am interested in growing herbs organically, probably indoors.

What do I need? Where do I get it? Resources? Ideas? TIps?

Thanks!

Allan

Lots of sun. You can buy plants or seed packets. Most herbs need
very little fertilizer, but needs vary from plant to plant. I've had
limited success growing herbs indoors, but when planted outdoors in
full sun (with neglect) they seem to grow like weeds. My sage is now
in full bloom, almost quadrupled in size since early spring.
Old 16-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Rose

Resources? Ideas? TIps?

Just do it! :-)

I'd have to agree. Like with most anything else you learn as you go along.
When I started my first garden I just planted away! I learned a few things
since then (-;

By the way one of my favorite herbs to grow is catnip - I like to see if my cat
catches on and actually knows its growing.

Rose
http://members.aol.com/Roseb44170/home.html
"How did I ever get talked into this?"

Old 16-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Frogleg

Someone wrote:

Resources? Ideas? TIps?

Absent Japanese beetles, many herbs are natural insect repellents, and
less bothered than other crops. Most aren't "heavy feeders", so after
planting in suitable soil, over- rather than under-fertilizing is a
more likely problem. Nearly all herbs thrive with lots of sun.

Oh, if you have Swallowtail butterflies, watch your dill and parsley.
Swallowtail 'pillars *love* those.