GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Indoor water plants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60500-indoor-water-plants.html)

ted 03-05-2004 07:02 PM

Indoor water plants

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda
like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.

Thanks.

[email protected] 03-05-2004 08:02 PM

Indoor water plants

anything in the cyperus family. papyrus. Ingrid

(ted) wrote:

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda
like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.

Thanks.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

SAS567 04-05-2004 03:03 AM

Indoor water plants

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda
like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.

Thanks.

I have Pathos. Devil's Ivy, Spider Plant Babies and even a Diffenbachia
growing in water jars. They are all doing well.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Phisherman 05-05-2004 03:02 AM

Indoor water plants

On 3 May 2004 10:28:59 -0700, (ted) wrote:

Are there any plants that grow indoors in a container of water? (Kinda
like lucky bamboo) I have seen some plants in a glass jar of water.

Thanks.

I have lots of plants growing in water. Dracaena, carrion, ivy,
wandering jew, coleus, even cactus! But, in general you'll get a
healthier root system when grown in the proper soil mix. My lucky
bamboo is growing in pebbles, but I have a friend who is growing her's
in sand and it is doing exceptionally well.

MWhite3660 07-05-2004 06:02 AM

Indoor water plants

philodandrens do really good in water. They will get just as big in water only
as they do in planters with dirt. Sweet potatoes also grow a really cool vine
in water.

ted 07-05-2004 05:03 PM

Indoor water plants

snip
Sweet potatoes also grow a really cool vine
in water.

You totally lost me on this one. How does one grow sweetpotato in
water? Will they develop sweetpotatos in their roots in water?

I would love to try it. How do I start from a sweetpotato? I'm sorry
to be the total novice here.

Thanks.

SAS567 08-05-2004 02:04 AM

Indoor water plants

snip
Sweet potatoes also grow a really cool vine
in water.

You totally lost me on this one. How does one grow sweetpotato in
water? Will they develop sweetpotatos in their roots in water?

I would love to try it. How do I start from a sweetpotato? I'm sorry
to be the total novice here.

Thanks.

I used to have a sweet potato vine many, many years ago. It doesn't produce
sweet potatoes but the vine is beautiful. I remember putting tooth pics in it
and suspending it from a blue mason jar so only part of it was in the water.
Someone told me awhile back that you can't use the store bought sweet potatoes
anymore because of a process that is done to them before they reach the store
and they can't grow anymore. Can't remember what the process was called.
Anyone know if this is true or not?
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Bonnie Punch 09-05-2004 07:02 PM

Indoor water plants

In article , sas567
@aol.com says...
snip
[...]

You're probably talking about irradiation. I think you'll find that
it's use depends greatly on the area, as some people believe it
harmful, and others believe it safe. It inhibits sprouting, so if your
local sweet potatoes are treated in this way, you're best getting one
from a health food store - it's highly unlikely to have undergone this
process.

I'd say give it a try if anyone wants to grow them - the worst thing
that'll happen is that it won't work :-).

BP