Old 04-05-2004, 01:02 AM
madgardener

Default Soils and adding IRONITE

Ok Dave, since you've got yer stuff together on the fertilizers, I need to
ask YOU a question.........my friend whose been in landscaping for years now
(a couple of decades) has recently been fiddling around with mixing Ironite
that Lowe's sells in granular form (a handful per container, or mixing soils
and some ironite up with the soils and planting perennials). She convinced
me to use it myself when I saw the massive improvement in the size and
health of her plants in just a year. If I'm only using this in my
perennials (the bag says NO BURN) why will they grow lush and larger? I have
red clay soil and I've ammended with compost, worm soil, and cheap topsoil.
I appreciate the trouble you're going to on this. I need to learn as much
as possible, and before I start mixing massive amounts of soils and Ironite
I need to make sure it won't have long term effects on my plants and
possibly us. If it's safe, just let me know....
madgardener still learning about this whole thing
"David J Bockman" wrote in message
.. .
You might be battling a high pH soil, in which case long term acidifying
would mean laying down powdered aluminum sulphate (I like straight iron
sulphate), along with an acidifying fertilizer like Espoma's Hollytone.

The
coffee grounds can only help.

Dave

"Suzanne Couturiaux" wrote in message
I planted a couple Nikko blue hydrangeas two years ago, but the flowers
haven't been blue (they were more of a pinkish white). I watered them
with an aluminum sulfate solution this spring and last fall to try to
make the flowers blue this year. Now, I'm considering adding old coffee
grounds to the soil -- Will this counteract the aluminum sulfate, or
will it help to make the flowers blue?

Suzanne

Old 04-05-2004, 05:02 AM
David J Bockman

Generally speaking, increasing acidity to optimum levels for a particular
plant will also allow for maximum nitrogen uptake. Clay soils in particular
are notorious for locking up available N and are, of course, relatively high
in pH.

If I were you, I would topdress, topdress, topdress with any organic
material I could find. Grass clippings (thinly laid), shredded leaves, pine
fines, shredded paper, compost..... anything. Simply topdressing over time
will leave you with a rick dark organic loam down 10-14 inches. I'm not sure
where you're located but it might be helpful to have a soil analysis done or
consult a local soil map, from the Soil Conservation Service.

Dave

Old 04-05-2004, 07:03 AM
Mike Gilmore

In my part of the world there are many locals with blue hydrangeas whose
neighbours just next door are like your description and they swear its all
due to the generous quantity of nails they put under when planting which
have rusted.
Regards
Mike Gilmore
www.winsfordwalledgarden.freeserve.co.uk

Old 04-05-2004, 03:03 PM
escapee

Maddy, you didn't ask me, but Ironite contains rather high levels of arsenic and
you can get better results from using Greensand. It comes from NJ or TX, but my
Lowes does sell it. The use of mulches and additional organic matter will give
you much better results than if you took the fast road and used Ironite. I do
not recommend it. It is polluting the local springs in Texas, so I imagine it's
doing a number on all springs.

On Mon, 3 May 2004 19:45:14 -0400, "madgardener" opined:

[...]
. ..
You might be battling a high pH soil, in which case long term acidifying
would mean laying down powdered aluminum sulphate (I like straight iron
sulphate), along with an acidifying fertilizer like Espoma's Hollytone.

The
coffee grounds can only help.

Dave

"Suzanne Couturiaux" wrote in message
I planted a couple Nikko blue hydrangeas two years ago, but the flowers
haven't been blue (they were more of a pinkish white). I watered them
with an aluminum sulfate solution this spring and last fall to try to
make the flowers blue this year. Now, I'm considering adding old coffee
grounds to the soil -- Will this counteract the aluminum sulfate, or
will it help to make the flowers blue?

Suzanne

[IMG] code is On

Adding nitrates without adding Ca, Mg or K Philippe Lemaire \(remove oldies\) Freshwater Aquaria Plants 34 19-01-2006 07:19 PM
Soils and adding IRONITE madgardener Gardening 17 09-06-2004 05:26 AM
adding Ironite to soils and my personal opinions don't read it if you're going to flame me, please madgardener Gardening 2 06-05-2004 11:02 PM
Ironite J Kolenovsky Gardening 7 09-12-2003 11:03 PM
Ironite on lawn? Ron Lawns 1 09-06-2003 05:08 AM