Old 04-05-2004, 03:03 AM
Ms.Green

Default Garden Insect

Hi,

I've noticed a bunch of little wasp/bumble bee like insects burrowing around
the edge of some of my plants, I was wondering if there was any way to tell
if they were a good insect (like that fly parasite wasp that I've heard
about) or if it's no good for my garden, short of having my plants die
(since that would probably be a good indicator that they weren't friendly
bugs

Thanks alot,
greenie.

Old 04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Beecrofter

"Ms.Green" wrote in message news:ehClc.359702$oR5.245145@pd7tw3no...
Hi,

I've noticed a bunch of little wasp/bumble bee like insects burrowing around
the edge of some of my plants, I was wondering if there was any way to tell
if they were a good insect (like that fly parasite wasp that I've heard
about) or if it's no good for my garden, short of having my plants die
(since that would probably be a good indicator that they weren't friendly
bugs

Thanks alot,
greenie.

A better description might help.
This is like asking what kind of tires do I put on a blue car.
Location, size,size of holes, smooth or fuzzy, coloration.
In North America there are 3000 species of bees, most are benneficial.
The fly parasite wasp is around the same size as a fruit fly.
Wasp and bee are not interchangeable

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.
Old 04-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Michelle

well there are some good wasps and bad ones and it is also dependant
if they are in a location where they are dangerous to you or your
family some are good because they will burrow and they lay eggs in a
burrow but they need a host for food for the larva which usually ends
up being another pest like a catapiller or harmful larva any way.
but if their are more than one they could be yellow jackets if they
are yellow and black like a bee but not fuzzy they are probably that
and they varry in size from honney bee sized to hornet sized
depending on how far south you live.
if they are like a wasp or bee that collects necter or pollen they are
good because their would be limited polllination of plants with out
bees and birds and such
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05525.html
most are generally good unless they pose a sting hazard in an area
where you garden alot or children play and they don't sound like
honey bees but if they are check on local regulations regarding wild
bees because some states prohibit killing or damaging bee hives that
are wild unless they pose a threat .
bees are generally dosile any way and will only sting if the hive is
threatened most are so gentle that if they are collecting necter or
pollen they can even be petted..
I've done it myself but it's one of those don't try this at home kidds
things.
i had a neighbor who kept bees and they were welcome in my garden any
day
hope this helps
michelle