Old 04-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Rach

Default Memorial tree plant

Hi,
This is a bit of an odd question I suppose but I have a really small patio /
courtyard type garden, which gets a lot of sun. Recently my dog died. We
will get his ashes back later this week and I am going to plant them in a
massive post with a small tree - you know as a memorial.

Any advice as to which trees would work well?
I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and will
not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something that wont
really grow above a metre and a half in height.

I was thinking perhaps a rose tree or some sort of palm tree?

I know this is an odd question, but I know virtually nothing about gardening
and hoped that someone out there could help me?

Thanks

Rach

Old 04-05-2004, 09:02 AM
Sue da Nimm

"Rach" wrote in message
Hi,
I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and will
not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something that

wont
really grow above a metre and a half in height.

I was thinking perhaps a rose tree or some sort of palm tree?

I know this is an odd question, but I know virtually nothing about

gardening
and hoped that someone out there could help me?

How about a wire frame and a Dog Rose?
Elegant, simple and very natural.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:04 AM
klara King

In message , Rach
writes
I have a really small patio / courtyard type garden, which gets a lot
of sun. Recently my dog died. We will get his ashes back later this
week and I am going to plant them in a massive post with a small tree -
you know as a memorial.

Any advice as to which trees would work well?
I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and
will not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something
that wont really grow above a metre and a half in height.

Sorry to hear about your dog - they leave quite a void, don't they?

There are many beautiful small Japanese maples that do very well in pots
all year round - small serrated leaves in summer, beautiful autumn
colour. Once the tree has settled down you could add small spring bulbs
around it if the pot is big enough. It sounds just the thing for a
courtyard garden.

Klara

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 AM
bill

In article ,
says...
Hi,
This is a bit of an odd question I suppose but I have a really small patio /
courtyard type garden, which gets a lot of sun. Recently my dog died.

My condolances. I just lost my Little Bear a month ago myself.

We
will get his ashes back later this week and I am going to plant them in a
massive post with a small tree - you know as a memorial.

Not to cause you any more grief, but you might want to check your local
ordinances. Around here, you are not legally permitted to bury a pet in
your yard; even if cremated.

I'll still be putting a memorial out next to one of our trees. I have a Dapple
Dandy Pluot for Rusty gone a year and a half now and a Flavor King Pluot for
Little Bear. I have a Flavor Queen Pluot for Pussface who is getting on in years.
Kodiak will get the Flavor Delight Aprium for his tree when he goes.

I have other trees that will be dedicated to my future pets until it's my time
to go. Since it's illegal to bury the pets here, not to mention the next owner of
this place might just tear out the trees/memorials for whatever reason, and
I couldn't bear the thought of my pets remains being tossed in the trash, it's
stipulated in my will that all my pets remains are to be buried with me. They are
presently in urns on the mantel. Little Bear's urn:

http://www.angelashes.com/products/oe/oe_phf_1.php#

it's the large, hand painted, picture frame model.

Any advice as to which trees would work well?

It would help to know your local climate/area.

I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and will
not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something that wont
really grow above a metre and a half in height.

Given any thought to a shrub?

I was thinking perhaps a rose tree or some sort of palm tree?

I know this is an odd question, but I know virtually nothing about gardening
and hoped that someone out there could help me?

The question gets asked occaisionally. With some more information, this group
should be able to give you some pointers.

Things to think about:

Evergreen or deciduous?

High maintenence or low maintenence? I consider roses high maintenence
because of disease and insect problems. OTOH, nothing is maintenence free.
Even silk flowers and plastic plants have to be dusted.

Fruit or no fruit?

Flowering large flowers non-flowering or small flowers ?

Scents of any kind: from flowers, leaves, bark

Will a 'messy' tree/shrub be a problem? fruit/leaf litter

Are there any local regulations to comply with zoning ordinances, health,
association covenants ?

Will the tree/shrub get the same amount of sun how many hours a day
is a lot of sun? during it's lifetime? Or are there trees nearby which will
grow to cut off it's sunlight?

What kind of water can you give it?

What kind of soil do you have?

I know these are a lot of questions to ask somebody who knows little about
gardening but they need to be addressed if what ever you plant is to do well
and live a long time.

Maybe a gardening neighbor can help you with some of these, or a local
agriculture office.

Some places that may be of help:

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regi...ness_and_Econo
my/Shopping/Home_and_Garden/Gardens/Plants/Trees,_Shrubs_and_Hedging/

or http://tinyurl.com/3cpdw same as above, only shorter

Thanks

Rach

Again, my condolances on your loss.

Bill
Old 04-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Franz Heymann

"Rach" wrote in message
Hi,
This is a bit of an odd question I suppose but I have a really small

patio /
courtyard type garden, which gets a lot of sun. Recently my dog

died. We
will get his ashes back later this week and I am going to plant them

in a
massive post with a small tree - you know as a memorial.

Any advice as to which trees would work well?
I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and

will
not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something

that wont
really grow above a metre and a half in height.

Try Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum It makes a very gradely
miniature tree about a metre high in 15 years, with beautiful red
foliage

I was thinking perhaps a rose tree or some sort of palm tree?

I know this is an odd question, but I know virtually nothing about

gardening
and hoped that someone out there could help me?

Franz

Old 04-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Michelle

you can plant almost anything you want in a pot Even a pet I'd use a
miniature fruit tree or bush like a very small black sweet cherry or
try a dog wood pretty and i trained one to a very large pot it has
to be a big one but you can do it and just wrap the pot in the winter
and leave it out side the fruit is nice and every time you get a
crop you can think about your friend I planted wild floweres over my
pet and every time I pick them i think about him and it feels nice.
it's nice that you want to remember your pet they often become part of
the family and lots of people just forget about them
good luck with your effort.
in a big enough pot you can do just about any thing just make sure
when your at the nursery you pick the pot first and then find what
fits with some advice from the nursery person they often will have
books to help you and or information about watering pruning which is
important for a potted tree.
sorry you lost your dog but this is a nice way to feel he is still
sort of with you .
michelle

Old 05-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Brian

There are some very attractive willows grafted at about 5' to weep with
splendid catkins. They remain totally controllable.
Regards and Best Wishes.

/
courtyard type garden, which gets a lot of sun. Recently my dog died. We
will get his ashes back later this week and I am going to plant them in a
massive post with a small tree - you know as a memorial.

Any advice as to which trees would work well?
I want something that will be hardy throughout summer and winter and will
not need to be moved inside in frosts. I am thinking of something that

wont
really grow above a metre and a half in height.

I was thinking perhaps a rose tree or some sort of palm tree?

I know this is an odd question, but I know virtually nothing about

gardening
and hoped that someone out there could help me?

Thanks

Rach

[IMG] code is On

Advice for selecting memorial tree GrubbyGreen Gardening 3 01-05-2008 04:16 AM
Tree memorial Kathleen[_1_] Texas 4 16-09-2007 01:57 AM
Memorial plant Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\) United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 11:47 PM
Suggestions for Memorial Tree in San Francisco Tom or Mary Gardening 1 10-09-2005 04:30 PM
Memorial tree plant Rach United Kingdom 7 06-05-2004 12:05 AM