Old 04-05-2004, 09:03 PM
amylou

Default Weeping Willow?

I've read that they can help dry out wet spots
in your yard.. any experience with that?
Thanks!

Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Timothy

On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:18:05 +0000, amylou wrote:

I've read that they can help dry out wet spots
in your yard.. any experience with that?
Thanks!

They do help soggy soil or rather the can stand wet locations. I doubt
that you'll see too much of an improvement in the soggy area. The area may
dry out sooner or stay drier longer. I would recommend that you deal with
the water source if possible. Curtain drains, hard piping or
redirection...etc would be a more perminate answer.

Old 05-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Beecrofter

"amylou" wrote in message news:x7Rlc.32230$Ik.1968186@attbi_s53...
I've read that they can help dry out wet spots
in your yard.. any experience with that?
Thanks!

They will grow in the wetter spots but they aren't magic pumps.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:04 AM
Pam - gardengal

"amylou" wrote in message
I've read that they can help dry out wet spots
in your yard.. any experience with that?
Thanks!

This is an old gardener's tale and not true. Plants will only take up as
much water as they need to transpire. Willows (most) are moisture lovers and
will tolerate very wet conditions but they will not necessarily "dry out"
wet spots. If your wet spot is not very wet, you may see some improvement,
but you may also see the willow roots seeking out alternate water sources,
like your sewer system and underground water pipes. These are best planted
in large suburban or rural spaces far away from any underground plumbing or
septic drain fields.

pam - gardengal

Old 05-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Roy

I believe its more like they can tolerate boggy or wet conditions
better than the avergae tree. Don;t look for one to suck up all that
excess water, as its not going to happen.........

On Tue, 04 May 2004 18:18:05 GMT, "amylou"
wrote:

===I've read that they can help dry out wet spots
===in your yard.. any experience with that?
===Thanks!
===

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

[IMG] code is On

moving a 15foot high weeping willow R P McMurphy United Kingdom 19 01-09-2003 02:03 AM
Weeping Willow - Root Depth Mike Gardening 2 02-08-2003 04:22 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 10:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 04:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 09:44 AM