Old 05-05-2004, 02:07 PM
David A. Kraft

Default getting existing ivy to cover bare ereas

I originally posted this last year but never got any response so
thought I would try again......

I live in Northern NJ. On the side of my house is a steep slope,
approx 20? x 100? long. Since I moved in approx 4 years ago, about 75%
of the slope is nicely covered with Ivy. The rest of it is simply bare
earth & or weeds & rocks which I keep removing. For the past 2 years
or so I
have been trying to get the ivy cover on the remaining 25% with no
success.

I have taken clippings from the existing Ivy & transplanted it & I
have bought trays of small ivy plants & planted those ? I see no
results.

Anyone have any ideas that may help?

Cant I simply buy a bag of ivy seeds somewhere & just dump them all
over the area? Anyone know where I can buy this if this is the way to
go?
Old 12-05-2004, 01:02 AM
gary davis

On 5/5/04 5:40 AM, in article
, "David A. Kraft"
wrote:

[...]

You asked the question last year and again this year. No
answer/replies...I guess no one knows. I know I don't.
But! But, maybe it has something to do with the soil. Is the soil the
same? Maybe having it tested to see if there is gas or weed killer or
something like that in it that is preventing the ivy to take. How about
getting some top soil and applying to the area? Possibly, some manure mixed
with soil...I really don't know and am guessing.
Testing the soil may give you some clues.
Maybe the ivy is moving to cover but you haven't noticed...
Good luck.
Gary
Fort Langley, BC

Old 12-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 11 May 2004 23:05:16 GMT, gary davis
wrote:

"David A. Kraft"
wrote:

I live in Northern NJ. On the side of my house is a steep slope,
approx 20? x 100? long. Since I moved in approx 4 years ago, about 75%
of the slope is nicely covered with Ivy. The rest of it is simply bare
earth & or weeds & rocks which I keep removing. For the past 2 years
or so I
have been trying to get the ivy cover on the remaining 25% with no
success.

maybe it has something to do with the soil. Is the soil the
same? Maybe having it tested to see if there is gas or weed killer or
something like that in it that is preventing the ivy to take. How about
getting some top soil and applying to the area? Possibly, some manure mixed
with soil...I really don't know and am guessing.
Testing the soil may give you some clues.

Or sunlight or water runoff.

Actually, if you're patient, *my* ivy will reach New Jersey in a few
years and fill your entire yard. :-)

[IMG] code is On

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 09:48 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 11:22 AM
Winter cover for bare soil ginav Texas 87 14-10-2005 06:19 PM
getting ready to plant bare roots and... dave weil Roses 1 29-05-2003 05:21 AM
getting existing ivy to cover bare ereas David A. Kraft Gardening 0 27-03-2003 10:44 AM