Old 05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
madgardener

Default adding Ironite to soils and my personal opinions don't read it if you're going to flame me, please

After posting an emplore to Dave or anyone else out there to give me a heads
up on "Ironite" after discovering my friend uses it to seemingly great
results, I was given a great link by Timothy concerning a news release from
2002 in San Francisco. Then Dave threw in his own expert assertations and
clinched it further. And Brudder John came in between the two and confirmed
it by espoucing a personal concern of it.

I want to thank every one of you who has helped me on this. John, you need
no apologies concerning getting back to me on this.....you and Barb have a
life and things don't stop when I ask questions. Timothy, no need for
apologizing for "stepping in" because you gave me a good link that I
immediately went to and was absolutely appalled. And Dave, you did a good
finish up on the thought for the whole thing. Add to that, when I called
Karol and got her sister yesterday after reading about this evil stuff, I
discovered that Karol has used it now for YEARS and doesn't know the stuff
is nasty. Just that somehow it seems to work. And has used it for
ornamentals, and FOOD plants! I shudder to think of the years she's handled
the stuff while mixing it into her soils for the containers.

When I kinda freaked yesterday about Ironite, Squire came back and
reinstalled a program called WebFerret and did a search on Ironite and I was
further blown away and dismayed. Maine has banned it. Canada banned it in
1998. Minnesota has banned it, as well as California. Despite that Squire
told me that California's standards are higher, I don't think that's the
problem. And on top of all that, there were LOTS of links regarding this
stuff. HUGE amounts that will take me days to read. I had no idea.

I think that the problem is once again that some large company, in order to
figure out what to do with something that is waste, decided to give a sludge
product a catchy name, attributes that are false and misleading and
repackage it and sell it around the country and possibly the world as this
agricultural solution for feeding plants. And not putting the contents on
the bags and possible effects of this around pets and above all, children
after exposures. Making money off something that hasn't been tested on and
that obviously is toxic without tests. (Arsenic appears naturally in our
land, but the amounts of arsenic in Ironite are 300% more than acceptable
levels!).

After the post I shared with this newsgroup a while back concerning
something else, I said I'd never voice my opinions or concerns to the group
again with a contraversial topic. That I'd stick to gardening and writing
about my daily encounters with nature, my fairies, and life up here on the
ridge.

I have said it before, but I will say it again......I can't save the world.
I can only do the best I can for my little corner of it.

I work for Lowes as ya'll all know. Just recently, Lowes stepped up to bat
and got rid of the pressure treated lumbers that were dangerous because of
the arsenic copper treatments because children play on stuff made with this
lumber and they're constantly putting their hands in their mouths. You
can't burn this stuff safely, and grinding it up is worse, and I shudder to
think of sending it to a landfill. So now they carry a safer product and I
think that's admirable. Life goes on. Someone took the time to do some more
research about the other wood and preservatives and changed things.

I feel the same way about this "fertilizer" called "Ironite". If you just
casually asked someone with some brains about them "if you knew something
was out on the market for just anyone to use as a supposed safe fertilizer
that had arsenic and lead in it, would you want to buy and use it around
your home?" I'd bet most anyone, educated or not would not want to use it.
We really do care about our children and this shitting in our own nest has
to stop at some point.

I want to know if this crap is as dangerous as they're saying. No smoke,
just straight up words so anyone could understand it. And if it's as
dangerous as it sounds (I don't want anything that has arsenic or lead in
it, I grew up with seeing the effects of lead paint on children who had
pica) then just remove it and dispose of it and fine the company for trying
to sell something to people that wasn't safe in the first place. And for
being greedy with wanting to make money off of a toxic waste product.

Now I want to contact Lowes and give them a heads up about this stuff and
see if they remove it from their garden centers. And I've already contacted
the EPA in Nashville and they've given me phone numbers to the Department of
Agriculture and the EPA in Washington D.C. I'm just one person but I don't
want to use something that has that huge amount of arsenic, lead and
mercury.

'Nuff said.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 06-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Vox Humana

"madgardener" wrote in message
[...]

I think I hear the black helicopters coming for you.

Old 06-05-2004, 11:02 PM
escapee

http://www.watoxics.org/content/pdf/...sumerFacts.pdf
http://www.meepi.org/files02/ironite.htm
http://www.envirolaw.org/poison.html

On Wed, 5 May 2004 12:52:32 -0400, "madgardener" opined: