Old 05-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Gwen Morse

Default Vine thread

This seems to have been missed in the middle of the rest of the
thread, so, I'm re-posting it...

On Sun, 02 May 2004 13:06:10 GMT, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

If you've ever seen your plants leafed out, search for
Virginia Creeper
at http://images.google.com & see if it looks familiar. [red leaves in
fall-- some black berries late summer.]

The bittersweet has bright orange berries in the fall -- often seen in
fall bouquets in this part of the world. [northeast US]

I've never paid too much attention to the leaves but, I'll check once
they start to grow back this season.

I certainly don't remember seeing any sorts of berries.

What options do I have if they are the above?

Same thing as for the bittersweet vine, though with an uncooperative
neighbor, you're in for a life-long fight.

The property that the vines are coming from has just been sold,
although
we don't know if it's still being kept as a rental property, or, if
the
new owners are moving in to live there. With the latter situation, it
would be much more likely we could get them to help clear out the
vines.

I had it on 2 wooded sides of my 1 acre property. I used roundup
where it was mixed with poison ivy & have used a 6 foot mowed buffer &
frequent attacks at runners to keep it at bay on the rest of my
property line. In 16 years I have been able to keep it within
reason, but if I ignore it for 3-4 years my property would be solid
'creeper'.

Just about the only _good_ thing about living on a property that's
60'x100' is that there's not much to maintaining it . If I had an
acre
to try to recover, I think I'd let the vines have it!

So, I can spray it with Roundup? I bought a big container of that to
kill the weeds growing in between the concrete sections of my
driveway.
Will that kill my lawn (I think the label said it would kill grass)
too?
I mean, if I spray it on the vines? I won't necessarily "mind" if it
will kill patches of grass, I just want to be prepared.

And, "how" do I use it? Obviously, I spray it on the vines, but, can I
still continue to pull them out? Someone else in the group said not to
pull them, but, if I don't, then, I can't rake or mow (they catch both
the rake tines and the mower blades). Should I maybe pull what I can
and
then spray Roundup on any bits that get left behind (to kill broken
roots that might make new plants)? I know I can spray the vines that
are
wrapped around things (trees and fencing and stuff), but, I don't see
how I can spray the vines that are just under the surface of the
ground
WITHOUT pulling them up.

Also, while I'm thinking of it, what if I bought _alot_ of Roundup and
put it in a big power sprayer and (with the permission of the
neighbors)
went next door and sprayed the zones that the vines are coming from?
Would that completely kill them in those areas, or, just the ones
exposed on the surface? If I did that a few times during the season
would it be likely to actually 'kill' them completely?

The areas the vines are coming from are quite literally "just" vines
and
sapling/small trees, with maybe some scraggy underbrush plants. If I
could effectively kill them in the 'nest' it might make recovering my
property bordes that much easier.

Gwen

Old 18-05-2004, 02:10 AM
Michelle

Round up will circulate through the vine down to the roots and will
kill the whole plant it will kill some grass but it is a fast working
chemical and the residue will go away quickly and planting new seed
will be ok let the vine completely die about week after spraying if it
is poison ivy you might want a professional to rid it for you . It
can be a serious reaction if you take removing it into your own
hands. it can get in your eyes lungs in side of your mouth and
requires a treatment which is a pain take it from some one who is
quite alergic. the oils in the plant can become air born and get into
lungs mostly if burned but some people are super sensitive and just
pulling out the vines and chopping them up to get rid of is enough.
if you get a rash easily from poison ivy than don't try it on yor
own. also there is poison oak and sumac which produce similar effect.
so be wary. good luck