GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Roots (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60694-tree-roots.html)

Don 05-05-2004 10:02 PM

Tree Roots

I have a Crabapple tree in my backyard in the middle of a lawn. There
is a cement mowing strip around the tree with flowers inside the mowing
strip. Suckers from the tree roots are beginning to come up in the
flower bed as well as a few in the lawn outside the mowing strip. We
keep cutting them back but it's a losing battle. I'm sure that watering
the lawn and flowers is causing the roots to come to the surface. Are
there any alternatives to removing the tree as I'm not about to do away
with the lawn.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Mike LaMana 07-05-2004 12:02 AM

Tree Roots

All I have done to deal with this problem in managed landscape is to mow
them out. Eventually, the top of the tree will exercise more hormonal
control and the sprouting will lessen, but it will probably not go away.

Others thoughts?

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC