Old 06-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Ken

Default Chickens in my Garden

There are some chickens tearing up my plants in our garden. I think some one
a few houses away got tired of them & now let them run wild. What can I do
to keep them out?

Old 06-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Ken" wrote in message
There are some chickens tearing up my plants in our garden. I think some

one
a few houses away got tired of them & now let them run wild. What can I do
to keep them out?

Have a barbeque and invite them as the guests of honor (ie., the main
course)!! Seriously, chickens can do a lot of damage to plants, specially
young ones, and they dig and scratch a lot as well. We have chickens at the
nursery that are allowed to wander at will - the owner is a "bird person" -
and they wreak havoc with my backstock. Aside from the BBQ idea, fencing
may be your only answer. At least you don't have to deal with peacocks, too.
They're like chickens on steroids and their poop is not to be believed!

pam - gardengal

Old 06-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Vox Humana

"Ken" wrote in message
There are some chickens tearing up my plants in our garden. I think some

one
a few houses away got tired of them & now let them run wild. What can I do
to keep them out?

Call you local animal control people.

Old 07-05-2004, 03:04 PM
madgardener

White Flower Farm espouces that their chickens get rid of ticks.......g
As for Peacock poop,,,,,,,,,,,,now you have me intrigued and wanting to go
up to the ridgetop behind me where Mr. Cates peacock I think is (he's the
one who has a flock of wild turkey hens as his own....I hear him making
those neat jungle cries every day.....kinda neat to hear it and occaisonally
see him flying down to the woods just below where I live to round up "his"
girls...........
madgardener off to werk on a perfect Spring/Summer like day

Old 07-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Travis

Pam - gardengal wrote:

"Ken" wrote in message

There are some chickens tearing up my plants in our garden. I think some

one

a few houses away got tired of them & now let them run wild. What can I do
to keep them out?

Have a barbeque and invite them as the guests of honor (ie., the main
course)!! Seriously, chickens can do a lot of damage to plants, specially
young ones, and they dig and scratch a lot as well. We have chickens at the
nursery that are allowed to wander at will - the owner is a "bird person" -
and they wreak havoc with my backstock. Aside from the BBQ idea, fencing
may be your only answer. At least you don't have to deal with peacocks, too.
They're like chickens on steroids and their poop is not to be believed!

Pam
Do you work at Emery's now?

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington