Old 06-05-2004, 04:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Default Name that tree - Paulownia

Every year when it blooms there is a flood of inquiries about this weed
tree.

Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa)

Its an escape from China.

"Bill Oliver" wrote in message

My wife and I were driving from North Carolina to Georgia recently. As
we passed through the NC mountains, we noticed that the back roads were

lined
by trees that had large light purple/lavender blooms that looked kind of
like wisteria. We were not aware of wisteria *trees* in that part of the
country. We love the dogwoods by the roads where we live, but were
entranced by these trees. Could anybody from that part of the country
tell us what is blooming up there?

billo

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Cereus-validus wrote:
Every year when it blooms there is a flood of inquiries about this weed
tree.

Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa)

Its an escape from China.

That's it. Thanks. A quick Google on it comes up with repeated
statements that it is not an appropriate tree for landscaping,
but the sites weren't clear on why. It sure is pretty when
it blooms, and I don't have a problem with big leaves. What's
the down side?

billo
Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Cereus-validus

The down side is that the large seed pods are full of a multitude of minute
winged seeds that get carried by the wind and plantlets will pop up
everywhere in the garden and elsewhere they were not invited. Being a weed
is bad enough but a weedy tree that overpowers native shrubs and trees is a
far worse threat. Only the so-called "Tree of Heaven" has been more
destructive.

Old 07-05-2004, 02:02 PM
David J Bockman

Hi Bill,

Note the tree's habit-- incredibly open and rangy. Looks terrible in winter.
It can also, under the right growing conditions, reach an alarming height
quickly. Basically, it looks good for about 3 weeks out of 52.

Dave

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Marcy Hege

The Princess tree is invasive, invasive, invasive. I recently heard that each
of the little capsules (and each flower head probably has 50+ capsules when it
goes to seed) has more than 2,000 seeds in it.

If it gets started on your property, it's hard to kill since just the seedlings
are difficult to pull out, they sprout right back if you cut them down, etc.

I don't remember if you said where you were located but you might want to
consider crepe myrtles. They are quite showy in bloom and in time, the trunk
and branches have lots of winter interest.

Old 07-05-2004, 04:03 PM
escapee

I know I've said this before, but I have a Paulownia kavakamii and it does not
overbear with seeds and plants. P.tomentosa, now that is certainly noxious.

On Fri, 07 May 2004 01:44:17 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
opined:

Old 07-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Marcy Hege wrote:
The Princess tree is invasive, invasive, invasive. I recently heard that each
of the little capsules (and each flower head probably has 50+ capsules when it
goes to seed) has more than 2,000 seeds in it.

If it gets started on your property, it's hard to kill since just the seedlings
are difficult to pull out, they sprout right back if you cut them down, etc.

I don't remember if you said where you were located but you might want to
consider crepe myrtles. They are quite showy in bloom and in time, the trunk
and branches have lots of winter interest.

Yes, crepe myrtles are popular here. I plan to have a few!

billo
Old 07-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Cereus-validus

Yes you have said that.

However, Paulownia tomentosa is the weedy species running rampant over the
countryside and that is where he saw it, not planted in someone's garden.

Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

escapee in
:

I know I've said this before, but I have a Paulownia kavakamii and
it does not
overbear with seeds and plants. P.tomentosa, now that is certainly
noxious.

fwiw
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
&q=Paulownia+kawakamii+%7C+fortunei+%7C+taiwaniana +%7C+elongata+hybrid+
Old 08-05-2004, 03:02 AM
Cereus-validus

Your link is too long, Farkleberrybush.

Why not make you point in words?

" wrote in message
escapee in
:

Old 08-05-2004, 04:03 PM
escapee

Hey, I saw a garden center selling purple loosetrife and when I pointed it out,
the manager argued with me that it "wasn't the one which is the noxious weed."
I said, "yes it is." She walked away. She is also selling Nandina domestica
and wax leaf ligustrum and Chinese tallow. I may give misinformation here now
and then, I know I'm not perfect, but these garden centers suck. I reported her
only because she would not even consider for a moment that I knew what I was
talking about.

On Fri, 07 May 2004 20:34:48 GMT, "Cereus-validus"
opined:

Yes you have said that.

However, Paulownia tomentosa is the weedy species running rampant over the
countryside and that is where he saw it, not planted in someone's garden.

.. .

Old 11-05-2004, 03:03 AM
styxx374

Yes, I made the mistake of planting purple loosestrife a couple of years
ago. It's a serious workout trying to pull it out in the spring.....

"escapee" wrote in message
[...]

.. .

Cereus-validus wrote:
Every year when it blooms there is a flood of inquiries about this

weed
tree.

Princess Tree (Paulownia tomentosa)

Its an escape from China.

That's it. Thanks. A quick Google on it comes up with repeated
statements that it is not an appropriate tree for landscaping,
but the sites weren't clear on why. It sure is pretty when
it blooms, and I don't have a problem with big leaves. What's
the down side?

billo

[IMG] code is On

Scientific Name Eschsclozia californica COMMON NAME CALIFORNIA POPPY Family Name Papavaraceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 4 23-03-2011 07:44 PM
Scientific Name Salvia mellifera COMMON NAME BLACK SAGE Family Name Lamiaceae Paddy's Pig[_7_] Garden Photos 1 23-03-2011 09:22 AM
Royal Paulownia tree Bill Gardening 12 25-03-2008 07:45 AM
Paulownia tree seed or seedling J. Davidson Gardening 7 22-10-2004 02:50 AM
[IBC] Tree Name Database. Was [IBC] Name Meaning Nicolas Steenhout Bonsai 0 16-10-2004 11:45 AM