Old 06-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus4443

Default Nut trees and SQUIRRELS

I would like to plant some nut trees, such as hazelnuts(filberts) and
pecans.

Since we have quite a few squirrels, I am concerned that they will eat
all those nuts. We have a hickory tree and we barely see unbroken
hickory nuts on the ground.

Is this, first, an indication that the nut trees that we are thinking
about planting, are not going to provide us with nuts.

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Old 06-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Dave Hinz

On 6 May 2004 15:44:44 GMT, Ignoramus4443 wrote:

Since we have quite a few squirrels, I am concerned that they will eat
all those nuts. We have a hickory tree and we barely see unbroken
hickory nuts on the ground.

More nut trees will mean more squirrels, so you'll probably still get
none.

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

Are you open to a ballistic approach? Nut-fed squirrel is probably
pretty good...

Dave Hinz
Old 07-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Frank Logullo

"Ignoramus4443" wrote in message
I would like to plant some nut trees, such as hazelnuts(filberts) and
pecans.

Since we have quite a few squirrels, I am concerned that they will eat
all those nuts. We have a hickory tree and we barely see unbroken
hickory nuts on the ground.

Is this, first, an indication that the nut trees that we are thinking
about planting, are not going to provide us with nuts.

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

I've just about given up in my fight with squirrels. If my lot were open in
the back and wife was not an animal lover I would pop them with low velocity
(low noise) 22 rounds. I've trapped many of them in my Hav-A-Hart and a few
have demised in a large rat trap but I never get a nut from my English
walnuts. I do better with my Chinese chestnuts because squirrels will not
bother them until hulls open. Then I have to pick up nuts twice a day and
also fight off the rats with hooves.
Frank

Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 AM
gary davis

On 5/7/04 4:57 AM, in article ,
"Frank Logullo" wrote:

[...]

I have heard that some success has been achieved by putting a net around the
base of walnut trees....like a funnel. It seems the squirrels don't like it
and at the same time the net collects the nuts. It may be worth a try.
Gary
Fort Langley BC
Canada
To reply please remove yoursocks...

Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 AM
jitney

walnuts. I do better with my Chinese chestnuts because squirrels will not
bother them until hulls open. Then I have to pick up nuts twice a day and
also fight off the rats with hooves.
Frank(snip)

I don't think there is a season on rats, but I don't think that their
meat is very appetizing.
Got any recipes to share? Anything with nuts, by any chance? Seems

fitting...
Dave(snip)

From the Remington website:Squirrel Brunswick Stew

2 squirrels
1 tablespoon salt
1 onion, minced
2 cups lima beans
6 ears of corn, kernels only
1/2 pound of salt pork, cubed
6 potatoes, cubed
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons sugar
4 cups sliced tomatoes
1/4 pound butter
flour
2 slices lemon

Cut squirrel in pieces as for fricassee. Add the salt to 4 quarts
water and bring to boil; add onion, beans, corn, pork, potatoes,
pepper and squirrel pieces. Cover tightly and simmer 2 hours. Add
sugar and tomatoes, and simmer 1 hour more. Ten minutes before
removing stew from stove, add butter cut into walnut-size pieces and
rolled in flour. Boil up, adding salt or pepper if needed. Pour into
tureen and garnish with lemon. Serves 4.

Enjoy. If you are swimming in squirrels, get that barn cat there, he
will eat some and scare away most of the others.-Jitney

Old 10-05-2004, 07:03 PM
paghat

Twelve ways of dealing with robber squirrels:
http://www.paghat.com/squirrelcontrol.html

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 12-05-2004, 03:14 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

(paghat) in newsaghat-1005040936340001
@soggy72.drizzle.com:

http://www.paghat.com/squirrelcontrol.html

"pie-cherries"?

p cerasus (?) sour cherries are pretty good off the tree-let/bush.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...l%2Dala%2Dking
Old 12-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Frogleg

"Ignoramus4443" wrote

I would like to plant some nut trees, such as hazelnuts(filberts) and
pecans.

Since we have quite a few squirrels, I am concerned that they will eat
all those nuts. We have a hickory tree and we barely see unbroken
hickory nuts on the ground.

When I read the subject line, I thought, "...go together like
Christmas and carols." :-) Pecans are grown here, and squirrels grow
themselves -- and get a lot of the pecans. However, a big, healthy
pecan tree will produce enough that humans get some of the nuts, too.
No experience with filberts.
Old 28-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Ignoramus4443" wrote in message

[...]

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

We used to have a big tomcat who enjoyed catching and eating squirrels.

Ray

Old 28-05-2004, 05:03 AM
Ray Drouillard

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message
news

[...]

How far are the trees from other trees? Can the squirrels jump across,
or do they have to get to your trees via the ground?

If they have to travel by land, then a nice electric fence should be
effective. It would be fun to watch, too. ;-)

Ray

Old 30-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Janice

On Thu, 27 May 2004 21:14:26 -0400, "Ray Drouillard"
wrote:

"Ignoramus4443" wrote in message

[...]

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

We used to have a big tomcat who enjoyed catching and eating squirrels.

Ray

I had a sweetheart apricot that had an edible pit, squirrels cut them
all off while they were still green.

My dad had a walnut tree that he kept a bunch of metal around the
trunk and the squirrels would jump up and over it and they would use
anything semin close to launch themselves up the tree.

Unless you have a LOT of area to plant (in hope of getting a nut or
two) with lots of nuts, or you live far enough from town with a
vacant area between you and the neighbors. and so, basically, get a
heard of maine coon cats to patrol the area, some squirrel catching
hawks, and if shooting is allowed post guards with rifles, LOL Or
save yourself a lot of aggravation and high blood pressure, buy your
nuts, and plant something that squirrels don't care too much about...
although.. I've been finding that they've been behaving oddly and
doing things they've not done in the previous two decades.. like no
birds bothered my grapes for 15 years, then suddenly..they started
in!! Until one year, I didn't get them pruned, and they had an
exceptionally heavy crop, and they ripened late... that meant that
generation of young birds were not taught to eat my grapes that year.
As such, the following year, I didn't have birds eating my grapes!
But, the squirrels have taken up grape eating! I'd never had
squirrels eat fruit before, except in the case of early ripening
peaches, EVERYTHING ate them, finches peck them to the pits, squirrels
knock them off the tree.

Squirrels are annoying to gardeners who want to grow nuts or small
fruits. They pick my strawberries, dig in the planters, they will
undoubtedly pick my raspberries when they ripen if they can reach
them. They went from annoying .. to EVIL when one was living in my
attic, and she decided that my wiring was a danger to her young and
was grabbing onto it and just started whaling away .. jerking and
bouncing it up and down. I could hear the wire slapping up and down
on the floor of a section of the attic that *had* a floor, and we had
to evict her an her young, and then took #10 institutional sized cans
and opened top and bottoms, cut down the seam with tin snips and a
friend molded the metal around the eaves to close off the squirrels
access into my attic!!

There is no winning in our town with squirrels if you kill one ..
fifteen try to move into its territory, seriously, so you can't kill
them all. Plus if you try and a squirrel feeding nutty neighbor finds
out they'll turn you in, and that's what happened with my Dad, so he
cut the walnut tree down! He'd tried every other way to keep them out
of the tree and it was just not worth the effort. Although, he didn't
make the collar that would be like the top of a funnel .. in shape to
keep them from jumping up into the limbs..it's cost prohibitive to
most folks to have stuff like that fabricated. I'm poor, and dad
wasn't rich either.

Good luck!!

Janice
Old 31-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Tallgrass

Dave Hinz wrote in message ...
On 6 May 2004 15:44:44 GMT, Ignoramus4443 wrote:

Since we have quite a few squirrels, I am concerned that they will eat
all those nuts. We have a hickory tree and we barely see unbroken
hickory nuts on the ground.

More nut trees will mean more squirrels, so you'll probably still get
none.

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

Are you open to a ballistic approach? Nut-fed squirrel is probably
pretty good...

Dave Hinz

The squirrels here leave almost no shagbark hickory nuts. One has to
pick/harvest them just before they are ready.

Lots of ways to harvest squirrels, too.....

Linda H.
Old 31-05-2004, 08:02 AM
'enry VIII

"Tallgrass" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

Since we have quite a few squirrels, I am concerned that they will eat
all those nuts. We have a hickory tree and we barely see unbroken
hickory nuts on the ground.

More nut trees will mean more squirrels, so you'll probably still get
none.

Second, can something be done about squirrels.

Are you open to a ballistic approach? Nut-fed squirrel is probably
pretty good...

Dave Hinz

The squirrels here leave almost no shagbark hickory nuts. One has to
pick/harvest them just before they are ready.

Lots of ways to harvest squirrels, too.....

Just be glad that you don't have to deal with monkeys and elephants.

'enry VIII

Linda H.