Old 06-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus4443

Default Planting squashes/melons in TOPSOIL MOUNDS

Instructions for planting things like squashes and melons and pumpkins
call for planting them in "mounds". Can I use store bought black
"topsoil"for those mounds, and if so, how much 10-10-10 fertiliser
should I add to them.

thanks
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Old 07-05-2004, 04:02 AM
SAS567

Instructions for planting things like squashes and melons and pumpkins
call for planting them in "mounds". Can I use store bought black
"topsoil"for those mounds, and if so, how much 10-10-10 fertiliser
should I add to them.

thanks

I plant my squash & pumpkins in mounds, but I use the dirt in my garden to form
the mounds. I don't buy topsoil.
I fertilize my veggie gardens with Miracle Grow in one of those hose feeder
fertilizers about once a week.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 07-05-2004, 04:02 PM
FarmerDill

Mounds or hills are recommended to avoid soli compaction from heavy rains and
to allow the soil to warm up faster. Just pulling them up witha hoe from garden
soil is the best method. Just about two inches above the ground level and at
least a foot across. A half cup of 10- 10-10 worked into the soil as you make
the mound will do ok. Too much will inhibit germination.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Ignoramus5882

FarmerDill wrote:

* Mounds or hills are recommended to avoid soli compaction from heavy
* rains and to allow the soil to warm up faster. Just pulling them up
* witha hoe from garden soil is the best method. Just about two
* inches above the ground level and at least a foot across. A half
* cup of 10- 10-10 worked into the soil as you make the mound will do
* ok. Too much will inhibit germination.

half cup per how much soil?How big of a mound?