Old 07-05-2004, 12:02 AM
hiker

Default help in identifying flowering plant

http://pgareau.photosite.com/flowers/105-0517b_IMG.html

Can someone help in identifying this plant?
Here is the story behind it.

About 15 years or more ago we lived in Shediac New Brunswick on the east
coast of Canada. A friend offered to help us build on our property. It
included some wild bushes and trees from nearby fields and woods. Our house
was on a small lot which was bordered at the back by a narrow strip of woods
about 40 feet wide. My friend went through there and found a couple of
plants that I would have called twigs. He planted them in the berm. The next
spring before the snow had gone, the twigs were in flower. There were no
leaves on the plant but flowers were growing right on the wood. It was quite
a sight to see. In following years the twigs grew branches and we eventually
ended with two bushes that were not impressive in summer, but which
certainly drew attention in the spring when they would be completely covered
with these beautiful flowers while the rest of the property was under snow.
Nobody we knew had any idea what the plant was.

We sold the house in the middle of winter and we didnt get a chance to take
part of the plant with us. We did not move far away and we built a berm at
our new place.

Two years ago, 2002, I went scrounging in the little woods behind our former
residence and found only one scrawny twig sticking out of the ground. I took
it home and placed it in the berm. It grew a little that first year and last
spring there were flowers on the little twig. During the summer branches
appeared and new shoots came up next to it. This spring it is covered in
flowers. Most of the trees around here havent started to bud yet, but this
plant is showing its stuff.

My wife took this picture of it this morning.

Your help would really be appreciated

Paul

--
**********************
www.hikers99.homestead.com

Old 07-05-2004, 12:05 AM
Pam - gardengal

"hiker" wrote in message
[...]

It is a Daphne of some form. Based on the way it is blooming with flowers up
and down the stems, I'd make a guess at Daphne mezereum, but even for New
Brunswick, the flower season seems rather late. Daphne mezereum is commonly
called February Daphne and blooms in late January or early February in these
parts. It does tend to naturalize to some extent but I'd also wonder at its
hardiness that far north - it's lower hardiness range is zone 4. Does that
jive with your climate zone?

http://www.manntaylor.com/mezereum.jpg

pam - gardengal

Old 07-05-2004, 01:02 AM
hiker

Thanks.

We are on the edge of Zone 5 on the east coast of NB, right near zone 4.

Is the Daphne you mentioned a wild plant? We do a lot of backpacking and
hiking around here and we don't recall ever seeing this plant in the wild.
Is it a native plant?

Paul

--
**********************
www.hikers99.homestead.com

Old 07-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"hiker" wrote in message
Thanks.

We are on the edge of Zone 5 on the east coast of NB, right near zone 4.

Is the Daphne you mentioned a wild plant? We do a lot of backpacking and
hiking around here and we don't recall ever seeing this plant in the wild.
Is it a native plant?

No, it is not native - it orignates from eastern Europe, Turkey and the
Caucuses and as far east as parts of Siberia. It was brought to this country
in colonial times and has naturalized in parts of the northeast. It is a
heavy fruiter for a daphne, so perhaps that is why it is so prolific.

pam - gardengal