GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Flowering Quince (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60806-flowering-quince.html)

junkyardcat 07-05-2004 05:08 PM

Flowering Quince

I have a flowering quince that will be done blooming soon. There are a lot
of dead looking branches on it this year, and I"m wondering if I should cut
them off...? If so, when is the best time to prune a quince? Or do you just
leave them alone?

Thanks!
Angie

David J Bockman 07-05-2004 06:02 PM

Flowering Quince

Hi Angie,

Chaenomeles are a suckering shrub that send up an ever-increasing circle of
canes. Occassionally, you have to wade in there and prune out the older,
dead, or dying canes. After flowering is fine, as is late winter before
blooms. Look closely at the canes you think are dead, they may just have
less vigour than some of the younger canes.

Dave

Vox Humana 07-05-2004 06:02 PM

Flowering Quince

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
I have a flowering quince that will be done blooming soon. There are a lot
of dead looking branches on it this year, and I"m wondering if I should

cut
them off...? If so, when is the best time to prune a quince? Or do you

just
leave them alone?

You can remove dead branches from a tree or shrub anytime. I would avoid
pruning the quince otherwise. They tend to be fountain-shaped shrubs and
pruning, in my opinion, ruins the natural shape. I love them when they
bloom, but I have to admit that the rest of the year they aren't very
attractive.