GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Large spruce overgrowing small spruce? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60906-large-spruce-overgrowing-small-spruce.html)

Dave K. 09-05-2004 04:04 AM

Large spruce overgrowing small spruce?

In our yard, we have a small white spruce seedling that was originally
planted about 6 feet from the drip line of a large, 10-foot-tall white
spruce. Years later, now we know we planted the small spruce too close
because now the small one is about 4 feet tall and the large one is about 15
feet tall, and there is only about two feet of empty space between them.
Because the larger spruce's branches grow about 9-12 inches a year, it will
only be about two years before they are touching each other.

Will the big spruce eventually overgrow and kill the smaller spruce? Once
the two trees' branches are touching, does that mean that their roots will
also be touching and competing for the same nutrients -- with the big tree's
roots ultimately winning the battle? Or is there a way to get them to grow
up side by side, touching each other?

The reason I ask is because I know that on our other mature spruce trees,
pine cones don't drop far from the mature trees, and seedlings are always
sprouting out within a few feet of the mature trees. How do these natural
seedlings grow up in nature, when they are growing only a few feet from the
adult spruces?

We don't have a good spot in our yard to transplant the smaller spruce, so
if there is a way that it can stay alive and grow up next to the bigger
spruce, we'd prefer to keep it where it is.

Any advice?

--
NOTE: Please delete the word "REMOVE" from my e-mail address when replying.
This is a spam guard.

Mike LaMana 09-05-2004 03:03 PM

Large spruce overgrowing small spruce?

In nature it seems to me that white spruce is often a colonizing species
that does not do well when forest begin to establish a dn close cover on one
another. A forester would say that they are not terribly "shade tolerant".
Black spruce (P mariana) with which white spruce naturally co-occurs across
northern North America, is more tolerant of shade. Spruces in general
compete more vigorously for light that for water and nutrients...there grow
in far north latitudes or high altitudes where growth seasons tend to be
short.

Be that as it may, your two trees may need to be pruned to keep the canopies
apart but this is darn tricky with spruce. If a branch is cut further to the
interior than the green needles it will not sprout. Even so it may die if it
is not blasted with sunlight. I would forget about trying to dig up the
smaller one as white spruce roots tend to very shallow and very interlaced
with neighboring trees. Best rec. is to gut down the small one and keep the
big one - why have two butchered trees staring at you?

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC