GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   lawn food (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60953-lawn-food.html)

Gord 09-05-2004 06:03 PM

lawn food

Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

Thanks

Gord

Mel Francis 09-05-2004 10:02 PM

lawn food

Gord wrote:
Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

Thanks

Gord

You are either a troll or an idiot. Go away!

gord 10-05-2004 12:02 AM

lawn food

**** you too, asshole

Vox Humana 10-05-2004 01:03 AM

lawn food

"Gord" wrote in message
Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

There is a guy named Jerry Baker who has formulas for all kinds of home make
garden remedies. As I recall he had a lawn food that involved ammonia and
dish detergent in a hose-end sprayer. I'm not endorsing him as the few
times I have seen him on TV he seemed like an idiot. However, since you
asked, you might take a look at his website. It looks like a pay site.
http://www.jerrybaker.com/

gord 10-05-2004 03:02 AM

lawn food

thanks will check it out

Pam - gardengal 10-05-2004 03:02 PM

lawn food

"Gord" wrote in message
Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

Thanks

Gord

By steering away from "commercial fertilizers", I assume you mean the
manufactured synthetic chemical kind normally favored for lawn care? Smart
move - perhaps the best thing you can do aside from removing the lawn
entirely. There are a number of option:

Get a mulching mower. Field studies conducted by the Center of Urban
Horticulture at the University of Washington have determined that the
regular use of a mulching lawn mower will reduce if not eliminate the need
for supplemental fertilizing, as well as keep your lawn healthy, reduce
thatch build up and supress weeds.

If you are prone to annual weeds, try corn gluten meal. This is an organic
product with the ability to prevent the complete germination of weed seeds.
Since it is a corn by-product, it also contains nitrogen (10-0-0), the most
critical of lawn nutrients.

Top dress your lawn twice yearly with screened compost or alfalfa meal.
Watering periodically with a seaweed supplement will provided an assortment
of needed trace elements. And there are scores of organic soil amendments
which can be used to supplement, depending on what you specific lawn
requires. When in doubt, do a soil test first.

Finally, there are dozens of web sites that address organic lawn care - no
synthetic fertilizers and no chemcial weed controls. Simply changing
fertilizing methods is not enough - you need to understand the correct
methods of irrigation and mowing as well. Just do a google search under
'organic lawn care' and do a bit of reading first. In proper combination,
these factors can release your lawn (and your checkbook)from chemical
bondage.

pam - gardengal

GaryM 10-05-2004 03:02 PM

lawn food

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in

Get a mulching mower. Field studies conducted by the Center of
Urban Horticulture at the University of Washington have determined
that the regular use of a mulching lawn mower will reduce if not
eliminate the need for supplemental fertilizing, as well as keep
your lawn healthy, reduce thatch build up and supress weeds.

On this point I was wondering when the humid weather arrives here in
the Northeast should one still leave the clippings on the lawn? The
clippings are rich in nitrogen, I believe, which may then in turn
promotes diseases such as brown patch.

Just wondering.

theoneflasehaddock 10-05-2004 07:21 PM

lawn food

Subject: lawn food
From: "Gord"
Date: 5/9/2004 11:32 AM Central Daylight Time
Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

Why in hell do people fertilize grass? It's not like there's any use to it. It
doesn't even look nice. It's just another invasive weed crowding out native
plants. No reason to give it extra help indoing that.

-

theoneflasehaddock

theoneflasehaddock 10-05-2004 07:23 PM

lawn food

From: "gord"
Date: 5/9/2004 4:02 PM Central Daylight Time
**** you too, asshole

Let's see. You snip what you are replying to, and have already used 2 names.
Interesting. I was going to vote for idiot, but now I suppose you might be a
troll. Not a very interesting one. I hope your plumbing ruptures and fertilizes
your lawn as you wanted.

-

theoneflasehaddock

theoneflasehaddock 10-05-2004 07:23 PM

lawn food

From: "Vox Humana"
Date: 5/9/2004 6:14 PM Central Daylight Time

"Gord" wrote in message
Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

There is a guy named Jerry Baker who has formulas for all kinds of home make
garden remedies. As I recall he had a lawn food that involved ammonia and
dish detergent in a hose-end sprayer. I'm not endorsing him as the few
times I have seen him on TV he seemed like an idiot. However, since you
asked, you might take a look at his website. It looks like a pay site.
http://www.jerrybaker.com/

Well, if he's spraying AMMONIA and DISH DETERGENT as a lawn food, he doesn't
just look like an idiot, HE IS AN IDIOT.

That will hurt, possibly kill the plants, as well as other wildlife. Just what
the world needs, more bozos spraying toxic chemicals for the sheer fun of it.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Pam - gardengal 11-05-2004 03:05 PM

lawn food

"GaryM" wrote in message
. 3.44...
"Pam - gardengal" wrote in

Get a mulching mower. Field studies conducted by the Center of
Urban Horticulture at the University of Washington have determined
that the regular use of a mulching lawn mower will reduce if not
eliminate the need for supplemental fertilizing, as well as keep
your lawn healthy, reduce thatch build up and supress weeds.

On this point I was wondering when the humid weather arrives here in
the Northeast should one still leave the clippings on the lawn? The
clippings are rich in nitrogen, I believe, which may then in turn
promotes diseases such as brown patch.

Just wondering.

Depends on whether the clippings have been mulched or not. Regular mower
clippings are too large and will simply mat and smother the lawn. Mulched
clippings are very finely chopped up - they will work their way down to the
soil level and decompose, providing necessary nutrients. Don't worry about
the amount of nitrogen - that's one of the big advantages of mulch mowing -
the nitrogen content of the mulched clippings is enough to encourage healthy
lawns but not so much as to encourage rampant growth, like chemical
fertilizers. It is the rampant, lush growth that promotes disease, not the
nitrogen itself.

This may provide more detailed information:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/turf/430-402/430-402.html

pam - gardengal

gary davis 17-05-2004 08:04 AM

lawn food

On 5/9/04 9:32 AM, in article , "Gord"
wrote:

Does any body here have a recipe for lawn food. I am trying to steer away
from commercial fertilizers and would like to try making my own.

Thanks

Gord

Hi Gord
This may sound a little weird...and it is. But...but...**** on your
lawn. Just let the cool winds blow...:) Try it you'll like it. Your grass
will love you. Your neighbours will wonder how/why your lawn is greener than
their's.
And of course there are many ways to do anything...my idea is to 'share
the wealth' with as much grass as can be reached...just wing it.
We can put it in the 'can' so that it goes out...somewhere...to pollute
lakes, streams etc. or we can look for alternate ways...
I'm a straight shooter but not as 'straight' as I used to be. My grass
doesn't care. My neighbours are green with envy...
Gary
Fort Langley, BC

To reply directly please remove yoursocks...