GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question about Lilacs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/60979-question-about-lilacs.html)

Anthony Aversano 10-05-2004 01:03 AM

Question about Lilacs

I have 5 lilacs in my yard. Three in the front in full sun, one on the side in
part shade and one in the back in part sun. All but the one in the back are two
years ago. The one in the back is about ten years old. For some reason they are
all almost the exact same color (light blue). The ones in the front are supposed
to be a purple, a peacock and a red. The one on the side should be a purple and
the one in the back has been light blue as long as we have lived here. What
could be causing this, other than the plants themselves being mis-marked at the
nursery.

Brian 10-05-2004 08:09 PM

Question about Lilacs

Lilacs are generally grafted. The rootstock is usually pale blue, of no
great distinction. It's likely that growth from the rootstock has been
permitted to oust the scion.[desired variety]
Best Wishes Brian.

Anthony Aversano 11-05-2004 04:04 AM

Question about Lilacs

On Mon, 10 May 2004 19:36:14 +0100, "Brian" wrote:

Lilacs are generally grafted. The rootstock is usually pale blue, of no
great distinction. It's likely that growth from the rootstock has been
permitted to oust the scion.[desired variety]
Best Wishes Brian.

Is there anything I can do to get the desired colors to bloom?

Tony

Brian 11-05-2004 10:05 PM

Question about Lilacs

There is no way to recover the lost variety/colour without ripping out and
replanting. If, even one, branch has the expected colour then remove all
other branches and keep it clear.~Sorry!!
Regards Brian.

Anthony Aversano 12-05-2004 03:13 AM

Question about Lilacs

On Tue, 11 May 2004 21:42:05 +0100, "Brian" wrote:

There is no way to recover the lost variety/colour without ripping out and
replanting. If, even one, branch has the expected colour then remove all
other branches and keep it clear.~Sorry!!
Regards Brian.

Well that really sucks, thanks for the info though.

Tony