Old 10-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Ignoramus15189

Default How to keep raccoons away

I have a fenced backyard where I have a vegetable garden that is
somewhat ransacked by raccoons. (or some other animals).

It is fenced with a chain link fence, but they still sneak in. I am
guessing that they get in between the fence and the ground. What are
the practical ways of raccoon proofing the backyard. Maybe some wire
stuff that can be added to the fence, or what? Can I simply buy a
raccoon trap and transport a few away from my property?

Shooting them is not an option due to our city code.
@ @ @ Please forgive my typos as my right hand is injured. @ @ @
char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}"; main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood."
Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Doug Kanter

Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the bottom of
the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible, and attach the
top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top of the
fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your local
animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the crops
that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have abrasive stems
that some raccoons won't step through. And, you didn't mention how far your
fence is from the garden. If it's possible to plant shrubs that'll end up
being 3-4' in diameter, and still leave room for YOU to work, you might
consider barberry. Nothing gets past that bush without severe lacerations.
That's why birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Ignoramus15189

In article , Doug Kanter wrote:
Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the bottom of
the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible, and attach the

I am sorry for my stupid question, but what is fence wire?

top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top of the
fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

that's upsetting that they can climb.

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your local
animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons. I would just trap
them and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so
many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they
migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time
since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5
raccoons, would it actually help?

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the crops
that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have abrasive stems
that some raccoons won't step through. And, you didn't mention how far your
fence is from the garden. If it's possible to plant shrubs that'll end up
being 3-4' in diameter, and still leave room for YOU to work, you might
consider barberry. Nothing gets past that bush without severe lacerations.
That's why birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

no space for that, unfortunately.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Ignoramus15189

forgot to say, trapping and releasing raccoons would be educational
for my 3 year old son.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:05 PM
Dave Hinz

On 10 May 2004 14:34:32 GMT, Ignoramus15189 wrote:
forgot to say, trapping and releasing raccoons would be educational
for my 3 year old son.

Why, to teach him how to make your problem someone else's? Whose problem
do you intend to make these creatures? "Well, Junior, they're only a
problem if they're in _our_ yard, so we'll take them 'out to the country'
so someone else can deal with them" kind of thing, or what?

Old 10-05-2004, 06:02 PM
The Rock Garden

"Ignoramus15189" wrote

forgot to say, trapping and releasing raccoons would be educational
for my 3 year old son.

Maybe not in the way you intended. First of all check out your state and
local regulations, it may be illegal to trap and release game animals.
Second, even if it is legal, you are merely transferring your problem to
another area for someone else to deal with, and can very well also transfer
diseases such as parvo, rabies and scabies along with the coon. Third, in
the long run it won't even matter 'cause a new population will move in to
take over the void left by removing the current residents.

There are many (well, several anyway) ways to fence coons out of a garden;
probably an electric offset wire around the bottom of the perimeter would be
both the most animal and cost effective.

Check out both the web site and order their excellent fencing catalog for
ideas.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/store/fencing.html

Skip

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA
http://www.povn.com/rock/

Old 10-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Joseph Meehan

Ignoramus15189 wrote:
In article , Doug Kanter wrote:
Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the
bottom of the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible,
and attach the

I am sorry for my stupid question, but what is fence wire?

top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top
of the fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

that's upsetting that they can climb.

They live in trees. They are also very good at opening gates and
latches. They can quickly learn to turn standard door handles. They are
not too good at picking locks, but some primates can do that.

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your
local animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons. I would just trap
them and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so
many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they
migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time
since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5
raccoons, would it actually help?

Some areas, like were I live, do not allow you to release a raccoon that
you might trap. I also suggest lots of miles. However it will not really
help. If they like the area and there is food, they or others will be back.

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the
crops that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have
abrasive stems that some raccoons won't step through. And, you
didn't mention how far your fence is from the garden. If it's
possible to plant shrubs that'll end up being 3-4' in diameter, and
still leave room for YOU to work, you might consider barberry.
Nothing gets past that bush without severe lacerations. That's why
birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

no space for that, unfortunately.

"Ignoramus15189" wrote in
message ...

@ @ @

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 10-05-2004, 06:04 PM
Marcy Hege

Weird racoons may be displaying signs of rabies. Not an animal to be messed
with when acting weird! I definitely wouldn't have a child anywhere around if I
was trying to deal with a caged "weird" racoon.

Old 10-05-2004, 06:05 PM
127.0.0.1

On 10 May 2004 14:33:59 GMT, Ignoramus15189
wrote:

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your local
animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons. I would just trap
them and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so
many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they
migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time
since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5
raccoons, would it actually help?

you should be afraid of them, you will never win in a tussle with one,
trapping might be worthwhile but relocating them is illegal in many
places.

Because of the current email spam attacks my email account is not included,
Old 10-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Max

In article ,
"The Rock Garden" wrote:

There are many (well, several anyway) ways to fence coons out of a garden;
probably an electric offset wire around the bottom of the perimeter would be
both the most animal and cost effective.

To my knowlege, elect. fences are simply the only reliable technique.
period. The only remotely secondary solution is to build a complete cage
around things, and ... racoons are damn good at defeating stuff like
that. Any garden/hardware store should have everything one needs.

Of course, this is just making the racoon someone else's problem... :-)

..max

--
the part of
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Old 10-05-2004, 06:07 PM
Max

In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

that's upsetting that they can climb.

They live in trees. They are also very good at opening gates and
latches. They can quickly learn to turn standard door handles. They are
not too good at picking locks, but some primates can do that.

ahem.. cough [tap tap] THEY HAVE HANDS!!!

..max

Old 10-05-2004, 08:02 PM
Ann

On Mon, 10 May 2004 14:33:59 +0000, Ignoramus15189 wrote:
Doug Kanter wrote:

that's upsetting that they can climb.

Very well ... trees, downspouts, whatever. As already mentioned, they're
good with their paws. Saw one open a foam cooler, and then the screw top
on the jar of jelly he selected. And in areas where they're used to
people, lights and/or radio don't work. What about keeping a dog in the
fenced area at night?

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your
local animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons.

Unless you live in a rabies-free area, it would be foolish not to be
cautious. Even non-rabid raccoons can be fiesty if they're cornered. So
if you're involving a child in this, be sure he understands that he should
not approach one by himself.

I would just trap them
and release then a few miles away. The issue is, are there so many local
raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they migrate? For
example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time since they
propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5 raccoons, would it
actually help?

Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on how many there are around. It would be
bad form to release on private land without permission.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:05 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ignoramus15189" wrote in message
In article , Doug Kanter wrote:
Sharpen your spade and make a "slot" into the ground all along the

bottom of
the existing fence. Insert fence wire as deep as possible, and attach

the

I am sorry for my stupid question, but what is fence wire?

Galvanized wire screen that you buy in rolls. It's available with openings
of various sizes. It'll be obvious which size to get.

top of the wire to the chain link fence. This still leaves the top of

the
fence vulnerable though, and raccoons can definitely climb.

that's upsetting that they can climb.

It's not upsetting to the raccoons. :-)

A Havahart trap is a good idea, too, but you might want to have your

local
animal control people assist. Raccoons can get weird....

I can get weird too, I am not afraid of raccoons.

In order to release an animal from a Havahart trap, your hands will be right
ON the trap as you open the end. You didn't say whether you've seen raccoons
on your property during daylight hours, but if you have, it's assumed they
may be rabid. Animal control people may have equipment which allows them to
keep a little more distance during the release.

Besides...if you have to "get weird" to keep from being bitten, it might
mean hurting the animal.

The issue is, are there so
many local raccoons that trapping them is a waste of time? Do they
migrate? For example, obviously, trapping birds is a waste of time
since they propagate everywhere. But, if I could trap, say, 3-5
raccoons, would it actually help?

Beats me. I lived in a semi-city neighborhood where we'd only see one or two
per year. No idea what your area is like. Take a walk, look for other
vegetable gardens, and knock on the owners' doors & ask them.

Another suggestion I've heard is to plant prickly stuff around the crops
that interest the raccoon. Zucchini and other squashes have abrasive

stems
that some raccoons won't step through. And, you didn't mention how far

your
fence is from the garden. If it's possible to plant shrubs that'll end

up
being 3-4' in diameter, and still leave room for YOU to work, you might
consider barberry. Nothing gets past that bush without severe

lacerations.
That's why birds hang out in them and laugh at the cats.

no space for that, unfortunately.

Too bad. It's fun to watch dogs crash into barberry bushes.

Old 10-05-2004, 08:06 PM
Ignoramus15189

[...]

I would not use an electric fence with a 3 year old kid in the house.

Skip

Skip & Christy Hensler
THE ROCK GARDEN
Newport, WA
http://www.povn.com/rock/

Old 10-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Doug Kanter

"Max" wrote in message
In article ,
"Joseph Meehan" wrote:

that's upsetting that they can climb.

They live in trees. They are also very good at opening gates and
latches. They can quickly learn to turn standard door handles. They

are
not too good at picking locks, but some primates can do that.

ahem.. cough [tap tap] THEY HAVE HANDS!!!

.max

They also have a sense of humor. While camping in the Catskills many years
ago, my wife & I watched as some knucklehead set up a screen house, and
inside it, two sets of collapsible plastic shelves onto which he placed what
appeared to be enough snacks for an army. Lots of chips, cookies, cereal,
etc. The ranger warned the dummy about wildlife, but I guess he decided the
ranger didn't know what he was talking about. Around 2:00 AM, there was lots
of crashing & interesting animal sounds. Two raccoons had bitten through the
screen and knocked over the shelves. When the guy got up the nerve to come
out of his tent, the creatures were still inside having a feast, while they
watched the guy run around outside the screen house yelling. The feast
continued for about an hour until the ranger finally came over and urged
them (with a stick) to go elsewhere. He then evicted the camper.