Old 11-05-2004, 06:04 PM
James

Default Tropical Plant IDs

Please help me ID a plant I rescued from a popular "Home Center". It
stands just over 7 feet tall in the 14 inch wide pot it was purchased
in. There are 2 separate plants. Can I divide them successfully?

http://community.webshots.com/album/142226966meBDZL

Many Thanks,

James L.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:11 PM
len gardener

g'day james,

looks like a 'travellers palm' aka 'ravenala madagascariensis' more of
the banana family not of the palm family, if so you will be able to
seperate them no problems.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 11-05-2004, 11:05 PM
James

On Wed, 12 May 2004 04:39:17 +1000, len gardener
wrote:

g'day james,

looks like a 'travellers palm' aka 'ravenala madagascariensis' more of
the banana family not of the palm family, if so you will be able to
seperate them no problems.

Excellent...thanks for the ID. I have always wanted one of these and
it wasn't too bad a price.There are two distinct plants, so I'm gonna
try a dissection. That makes four different bananas I now have.

Any Idea on the fourth picture. It was labeled a Banana Super, but
that could be anything. It seems to be a dwarf variety, but I have
only had it about a month. It has markings on the leaves that are
reddish brown.

Thanks Again,

James
Old 12-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Ricky

But it's not. It's a white bird of paradise. Strelitzia nicolai. Yes you can
divide it. Try a Yahoo search for more details.

"len gardener" wrote in message
g'day james,

looks like a 'travellers palm' aka 'ravenala madagascariensis' more of
the banana family not of the palm family, if so you will be able to
seperate them no problems.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

Old 12-05-2004, 04:06 AM
len gardener

g'day james,

not that up on bananas sorry can't help with that one.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 12-05-2004, 04:07 AM
len gardener

g'day james,

you might have to wait until it flowers to be sure by the sounds of
the other voter, but here's a link that might explain it a bit. for me
the leaf looks too much like a banana where as the bop doesn't but
that's just how i see it from way across the pacific.

http://mgonline.com/whitebird.html

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

Old 12-05-2004, 01:04 PM
James

On Tue, 11 May 2004 18:55:05 -0400, "Ricky"
wrote:

"len gardener" wrote in message
.. .
g'day james,

looks like a 'travellers palm' aka 'ravenala madagascariensis' more of
the banana family not of the palm family, if so you will be able to
seperate them no problems.

len

snipped
--
happy gardening

"in the end ya' gotta do what ya' gotta do" but consider others and the

environment

But it's not. It's a white bird of paradise. Strelitzia nicolai. Yes you can
divide it. Try a Yahoo search for more details.

Thanks for the scoop, Ricky. It does have that BOP look at the bottom
of the plant.

Thanks Again,

James
Old 13-05-2004, 06:02 AM
how

Hi,
I'm voting with len on this one. It is Ravenala madagascariensis, the inner
part of the petiole is more 'ragged' on a white bird.
hth -_- how
to reply remember no NEWS is good

Old 13-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Elizabeth

That is a white bird of Paradise. The banana is a dwarf cavendish
type most likely. If it is the super dwarf, you have it growing in
too much shade. The spaces between the leaves are exceptionally
long for superdwarf.

--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

"James" wrote in message
Please help me ID a plant I rescued from a popular "Home

Center". It
stands just over 7 feet tall in the 14 inch wide pot it was

purchased
in. There are 2 separate plants. Can I divide them successfully?

http://community.webshots.com/album/142226966meBDZL

Many Thanks,

James L.

[IMG] code is On

Plant IDs? Malcolm Manners Plant Science 1 21-08-2007 05:26 AM
Plant IDs - please janka Plant Science 6 27-01-2007 04:58 PM
Two plant IDs please Sacha United Kingdom 6 19-11-2006 11:50 PM
Plant IDs please - worrisit ? adm United Kingdom 37 07-06-2006 05:12 PM
websites for plant photos / ids Niall Smyth United Kingdom 4 23-09-2003 02:29 AM