Old 12-05-2004, 06:05 PM
Salty Thumb

Default de-acidify some soil? - definition of hard/soft water

uckoff (theoneflasehaddock) wrote in
:

Subject: de-acidify some soil?
From: gary davis

Date: 5/9/2004 10:18 PM Central Daylight Time
On 5/9/04 3:23 PM, in article
, "Janet Baraclough.."
wrote:

The message
from zxcvbob contains these words:

I don't see being acid as a bad thing for potting soil; municipal
water is always alkaline and will neutralize the acid over time.

Is that *always* true of municipal water in the USA? it isn't here
in the UK.

Janet.

Hi Janet
I wouldn't think it could possibly be true. There are just two
many
areas with different water sources. Here in Fort Langley we had a well
and much of our copper pipes were eaten through. Not sure if it was
acidic water or electrolysis. But now they blend the well water with
mountain source water (which is soft). The ratio must vary as
sometimes the water is soft, sometimes it is hard and sometimes in
between.
I have never thought about our drinking water as being acidic or
alkaline? Just hard or soft.

Hard would be alkaline, soft, acidic, I believe. I might be mixed up,
though.

Hard water just means there are plenty calcium, magnesium or similar
elements in solution. Gradually, they can form hard deposits on your
plumbing (the same way stalactites and stalagmites form in caves - drip,
drip, deposit mineral, drip, drip). Naturally, the presence of calcium
etc ions will make the water alkaline, but soft water denotes the absence
of those ions, not acidity.