Old 14-05-2004, 08:03 PM
Retiredff

Default Are there any septic-tank-safe trees?

Bill Oliver wrote:
I have recently acquired a house with a septic tank. The books I have
read say not to plant shrubs or trees near the tank or drainage field
because the roots will damage it. Unfortunately, it's exactly in an
area I want to cross with a border.

Are there any trees/brush suitable for a hedge that have a superficial
spreading root system shallow enough to be safe for a septic tank?

A lot of good info here concerning your drain field and plants:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohor...7/426-617.html

Old 15-05-2004, 02:04 AM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
David Hare-Scott wrote:

Ask your local council's sanitation officer (or whoever is responsible for
septic tanks) they will have a list of plants suitable for the drain field,
some insist on the field being planted to assist with take-up of nutrients
in order to reduce algal blooms etc in waterways due to runoff.

That's a good idea. I can certainly ask the ag extension people.

billo
Old 15-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Myrmecodia wrote:
...But if you don't have the problem,
why create a situation where you might in a few years. You really
don't want the contents of your septic tank backing up into your house
or yard.

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. My father had to have his repaired a couple
of years ago, and it was quite costly.

billo

Old 15-05-2004, 02:07 AM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Retiredff wrote:

A lot of good info here concerning your drain field and plants:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohor...7/426-617.html

Good site!

Thanks,

billo

[IMG] code is On

Planting near septic tank soakaway John Towill United Kingdom 5 14-04-2010 06:21 PM
no grass over septic tank B&H Lawns 7 20-03-2010 05:11 PM
Are there any septic-tank-safe trees? Bill Oliver Gardening 1 18-05-2004 03:06 PM
Growing stuff over the septic tank WCD Edible Gardening 6 18-06-2003 09:08 PM
Septic tank pollution testing. Peter Hughes United Kingdom 2 16-04-2003 08:08 PM