Old 15-05-2004, 06:02 AM
Amy D

Default Newbie but plant-stupid learning by trial and error :)

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years
now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of
landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my
husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.

I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all
in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.

Looks like a great group! There aren't any trolls who would
intentionally kill my plants around here I should know about are there?

amy

Old 15-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

On Fri, 14 May 2004 22:08:37 -0500, Amy D wrote:

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years
now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of
landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my
husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.

I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all
in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.

Excellent plan. First answer: check what neighbors and other locals
have growing. If every other house had masses of azaleas in bloom
recently, it's a good bet azaleas are...a good bet. If you like
azaleas, that is.
Old 16-05-2004, 11:04 PM
Amy D

Frogleg wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2004 22:08:37 -0500, Amy D wrote:

Thought I'd do a quick intro. I've lived in Mobile, AL for 3 1/2 years
now but we just bought a house where I have the terrifying task of
landscaping when I am from western Nebraska where nothing grows and my
husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern Alabama.

I have several questions but have decided rather than putting them all
in one post I'd ask them separately to keep it simple.

Excellent plan. First answer: check what neighbors and other locals
have growing. If every other house had masses of azaleas in bloom
recently, it's a good bet azaleas are...a good bet. If you like
azaleas, that is.

Ironically, I went a little crazy with the azaelas. I LOVE azaelas! I
didn't realize how big they are going to get though. I planted 8 --
5 of them BIG ones. I know I can keep them pruned if I prune RIGHT
after they bloom though. I was kind of wondering WHAT I was thinking
after the first week the azaelas bloomed.....our little neighborhood was
giving me a headache!

amy

Old 17-05-2004, 03:03 PM
dps

Error and trial is the best way to learn. The lessons sink in better
than anything you read, which usually goes in one eye and out somewhere
else.
Old 18-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Amy D in :

http://www.panhandle.unl.edu/arboretum/arborbro.htm
http://citnews.unl.edu/florasearch/region.html

and
my husband is from Illinois and as clueless as I am about southern
Alabama.

http://www.alabamawildflower.org/
http://www.lsuagcenter.com/nav/publi...capingpubs.asp
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...lsuagcenter %
2Ecom+figs

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=site%
3Awww.lsuagcenter.com+released+%7C+%22new+cultivar s%22&btnG=Search

www.gulftel.com/jdwyer/camellia_links.htm
Alabama Experiment Station
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/aaes/commun...tionslist.html

Alabama Extension Service
http://www.aces.edu/pubs/
Georgia Experiment Station
http://www.ces.uga.edu/pubs/ES-pubs.htm

Georgia Extension Service
http://www.ces.uga.edu/ces/pubs.html
Florida
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/
Missouri
http://muextension.missouri.edu/xplor/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
less direct :-)

http://www.m-w.com/maps/china2.html
china has continental climate, but
climate comparisons could be tricky, since so cent china seems to be high
elevation. very unlike so cent USA.

http://alabamamaps.ua.edu/help/contemporary.html
http://www.nationalgeographic.com/re.../samericm.html
S america continent narrows toward the south, but i'm guessing that among s
American climates, buenos aires/paraguay/urugauy is closest climate to s
cent US.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&q=+louisiana+argentina+uruguay+flowers+evergreen+ %7C+deciduous+%
7C+native+%7C+species+

ex.:
http://www.rareplants.co.uk/zephyran/species.htm

~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22De...Alabama%20%7C%
20Louisiana%20%7C%20Mississippi&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=dw

http://www.hal-pc.org/~trobb/mastgar.html

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=%
22Louisiana+Society+for+Horticulture%22

http://www.google.com/search?
sourceid=navclient&q=Society+Horticulture++Alabama +%7C+Louisiana+%
7C+Mississippi

Old 18-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

Amy D in :

Ironically, I went a little crazy with the azaelas. I LOVE azaelas! I
didn't realize how big they are going to get though. I planted 8 --
5 of them BIG ones. I know I can keep them pruned if I prune RIGHT
after they bloom though. I was kind of wondering WHAT I was thinking
after the first week the azaelas bloomed.....our little neighborhood was
giving me a headache!

these people should be good. real life locals
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ea+Alabama +%
7C+Louisiana+%7C+Mississippi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ons++Alabama+%
7C+Louisiana+%7C+Mississippi

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ron++Alabama+%
7C+Louisiana+%7C+Mississippi

~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rons+climate+%
7C+elevation+%7C+geography+%7C+vegetation+map

stretching thin, more obscu
~~~~~~~~~~~
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...7C+elevation+%
7C+geography+%7C+vegetation+map&spell=1

http://www.myanmar-embassy-tokyo.net...yanmar_map.jpg [use browser's
zoom button:]

baoshan led to SW Yunnan:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...UTF-8&q=Acer+%
7C++Dicotyledoneae+%7C+Angiospermae+%7C+Checklist+ +Yunnan+

leads to maples. when you see [ - - ? ugh, i forgot what i was adding on
to here! ]
look for these kinds of books at libraries.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...%3Dstripbooks%
26field-keywords%3DRhododendrons/102-6129810-8311316
http://www.timberpress.com/book

http://www.booksmatter.com/b18645037.../0-88192-637-X