Old 16-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Anonny Moose

Default Something red grows in the bird bath

This may not be the correct forum to ask about this, but I figure a lot of
people have concrete bird baths in their gardens. One of my bird baths, it
is concrete, grows some sort of red crud that discolors the water. It
actually cakes on the surface when there is water in it and can be chipped
off when it dries. My other concrete bird bath doesn't do this. Any idea
what it is and what's causing it? Is it harmful to birds? Any way to get rid
of it?

Thanks in advance.
Karen
Portland, OR

Old 16-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Red tide in your bird bath?

May be a toxic bacteria growing there.

Thoroughly clean it out with bleach and start again.

Old 16-05-2004, 10:03 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereus-validus" wrote:

Red tide in your bird bath?

That'd be "Red sales in the sunset."

-paghat the ratiglr

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 17-05-2004, 02:05 AM
Anonny Moose

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
om...
Red tide in your bird bath?

May be a toxic bacteria growing there.

Thoroughly clean it out with bleach and start again.

Can you get red tide in fresh water? I've tried cleaning it but it just
keeps returning, regardless whether it's rainwater or tap water. I was
thinking more along the lines of a chemical reaction with something in the
concrete.... any possibility of that?

Karen

Old 17-05-2004, 02:06 AM
Charles

On Sun, 16 May 2004 12:03:37 -0700, "Anonny Moose"
wrote:

This may not be the correct forum to ask about this, but I figure a lot of
people have concrete bird baths in their gardens. One of my bird baths, it
is concrete, grows some sort of red crud that discolors the water. It
actually cakes on the surface when there is water in it and can be chipped
off when it dries. My other concrete bird bath doesn't do this. Any idea
what it is and what's causing it? Is it harmful to birds? Any way to get rid
of it?

Thanks in advance.
Karen
Portland, OR

Haematococcus?

Story he

http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...an99/haem.html

http://www.astafactor.com/algae.htm

It is classed as a free-swimming green algae, but has a lot of
orange/red pigment.

--

- Charles
-

Old 17-05-2004, 03:07 AM
Cereus-validus

Nope. What you describe reads more like an infestation of toxic so-called
blue-green bacteria (I know the color is red not blue-green) fed by the bird
poop.

The best way to kill them noxious critters off is by using chlorine bleach.

Old 17-05-2004, 03:08 AM
Cereus-validus

Yeah that's the nasty critter. Thanks Charles.

Chlorine bleach will kill them off. At least, until the next infestation.

Old 20-05-2004, 05:02 AM
susanwh

"Anonny Moose" wrote in message
This may not be the correct forum to ask about this, but I figure a lot

of
people have concrete bird baths in their gardens. One of my bird baths,

it
is concrete, grows some sort of red crud that discolors the water. It
actually cakes on the surface when there is water in it and can be

chipped
off when it dries. My other concrete bird bath doesn't do this. Any idea
what it is and what's causing it? Is it harmful to birds? Any way to get

rid
of it?

Thanks in advance.
Karen
Portland, OR

Sometimes the iron in hard water causes a red sludge in my concrete bird

baths. swh

Old 21-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Harriet Nation

Our water is very hard also. I have an extra long handled barbecue pit wire
brush I keep just for the bird bath. I dump the water, add a little vinegar
and baking soda, and scrub and rinse until is is gone. Rinse well
afterwards. This will last about a month and then I do it all again, but
the bird bath really gets clean, and the birds love to splash in it when it
is so clean.
"susanwh" wrote in message

[...]

[IMG] code is On

Pump for bird bath? Angela Marsh Ponds 21 17-06-2006 02:15 PM
A Heated Bird Bath as your center piece. BirdOasis North Carolina 3 30-11-2005 02:12 AM
Around the Bird Bath Smiles Gardening 4 07-05-2005 03:44 AM
red clover grows whereever white clover grows P van Rijckevorsel Plant Science 7 04-08-2003 08:02 PM
BIRD BATH QUESTION WARRENRN1 Gardening 4 22-07-2003 04:08 PM