Old 19-05-2004, 07:05 PM
Blues Ma

Default cat problem ....PLEASE HELP !!??

McQualude wrote:

"not happy" said:

Problem is, every morning we go outside & have to shovel up several
fresh cat turds.* The woman next door has about half a dozen of the
little vermin ..... & being as her garden ( our our neighbour on the
OTHER side) is completely concreted over ..... her pests use our soil
as a kitty litter.

Call animal control. You are making this YOUR problem, your neighbors
chose to keep these cats, make it the neighbor's problem.
--
McQualude

Absolutely the best solution* -* IF they'll come for cats.
The suggestion to rent or purchase a live trap would be good either way.
Animal wardens may take a cat, but i doubt they would be willing to chase
one.
Trap 'em or kill 'em.*** Either way, your problem is quickly solved.
More cats will take their place eventually, but perhaps the thoughtless
owners
will catch on and stop treating the whole neighborhood to their pet
droppings.

Have you approached your neighbors about the problem?
You could be totally juvenile and start phoning them throughout the night
asking if they know where their stinking cats are.
*
*

Old 19-05-2004, 08:02 PM
David Kotschessa

I've seen just about every solution proposed that doesn't involve talking
to the stupid cat person first. Not saying it will work, just saying that
should be the first thing. The cats shouldn't be outside.

Old 20-05-2004, 12:02 AM
not happy

"David Kotschessa" wrote in message

I've seen just about every solution proposed that doesn't involve talking
to the stupid cat person first. Not saying it will work, just saying that
should be the first thing. The cats shouldn't be outside.

Firstly, a MASSIVE thanks to all of you that replied to my post, trying to
help us ( me & my, now, FRANTIC garden-loving & cat-hating wife !).

Unfortunately, the woman next door is an Indian immigrant , with a hell of a
lot of cats ! Whenever I've raised issues before ( her noisy, fatherless
kids etc...) she screams that she'll contact "The Race Relations Council".

She wouldn't listen to any reasoned complaint that I've had before, so it
seems pointless that I approach her about her cats ...... here in the UK, if
you are British .... then you are a second-class citizen .... behind anyone
that can get here, hiding in the back of a truck, to claim welfare. Thank
you Mr. Phoney Blair. Anyway, that's beside my point.

I've, today, bought several rolls of *chicken-wire* & lengths of wooden pole
( now screwed to our, already high, wall). After finishing work I spent,
today, almost 5 hours in the garden, making sure that any cat that wants to
shit in our garden must now ...

a) not be afraid of heights ( & able to climb 6 foot of chicken-wire), as
well as a 7-foot wall.

b) be able to pole-vault OUT of our garden, after jumping in

c) be prepared to be stranded in our garden, until I see it the next
morning, be decapitated & then thrown into our dustbin ( *trashcan* in
America ?)

Thanks for your advice,

PS. Cocoa Shells & Pepper are BRILLIANT ideas .... I checked on google.
Unfortunately, they're expensive & only temporary solutions. You have to
keep renewing the cocoa & pepper.

I reckon that my idea is better & much more economical. The cat-owning
neighbours have to keep renewing their deceased cats.

Old 20-05-2004, 01:02 AM
not happy

"Skyhooks" wrote in message
More than likely your community has ordinances regarding loose pets,
especially stray dogs & cats. If I were in the same boat, I'd purchase
(or rent?) a "live trap" and catch the pesty felines with a bunch of
canned tuna. Then after trapping them, I'd take them to the local
humane shelter as a "stray" cat. Your neighbors will soon be catless.

Skyhooks,

Although I like cats & dogs ...... I DETEST SMELLY, PLANT KILLING, CAT SHIT
... all over our newly turned soil, on a DAILY basis & I would have no
remorse/regrets about trapping & killing the fouling vermin.

However, unfortunately, here in England ....... animals have MORE *rights*
than human beings !

Thanks anyway.

Addendum .... Bush victory .... & somebody PLEASE asassinate Phoney Blair
..... PLEASE !!

Let's see a victory for RIGHT minded people. ( Ooops ! .... off-topic ?)

We're quite willing to share all the Iraqi oil with the USA ..... but we do
NOT need a dickhead, illegal-immigrant loving, liberal, communist like Tony
Bliar . That's B.L.I.A.R.

Intelligent .. ? Check out www.bnp.org.uk

Old 20-05-2004, 01:03 AM
not happy

"madgardener" wrote in message
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH spring comes and fresh problems with cat turds.
College must almost be out for the semester..............g

Meaning what ?

I went to college , over 20 years ago ......... what the f*ck is a
"semester" ?

BTW .... greetings to all, from South Yorkshire.

Old 20-05-2004, 01:06 AM
Salty Thumb

"not happy" wrote in
:

"Skyhooks" wrote in message
[...]

?)

We're quite willing to share all the Iraqi oil with the USA ..... but
we do NOT need a dickhead, illegal-immigrant loving, liberal,
communist like Tony Bliar . That's B.L.I.A.R.

Intelligent .. ? Check out www.bnp.org.uk

Funny how yokels that whine about human rights have no concept of human
responsibilities.

If you want Tony Blair assassinated, why don't you do it yourself? No
need to beggar God to do your dirty work for you.

Cat shit is God's way of saying "You're not very special to me anymore"
Old 20-05-2004, 03:02 AM
David Kotschessa

On Wed, 19 May 2004, not happy wrote:

[...]

Ok, just wanted to make sure that avenue had been exhausted before getting
into solutions that involve potentially harming the cats. I am a cat
person, so don't take this the wrong way, but I really feel worst for the
cats. It sucks that they have such a stupid owner.

Old 20-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"David Hill" in
:

When this problem came up "Yet again" on uk.rec.gardening
One very good idea was to put in a small sand pit/box about 3 or 4 ft
square for the cats to use, they will go to it rather than the soil as
long as it is kept clean.
You could suggest this to your neighbour, otherwise put on in in your
garden where the cats will find it easily,

and gradually move the box closer and closer to the offices of your
local animal control agency :-)

whilst you will still have
mess to clear, it will be in one place and they wont be damaging the
rest of the garden.

i've heard of ant lions that build funnel traps in sandy soil. are there
also cat lions? :-)

Old 20-05-2004, 07:04 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"tmtresh" in
:

I might try laying down some chicken wire over the preferred places
as an experiment.......

When I moved into my house, the "gardens" were covered with a layer of
lava rock. It was not a deterrent for the cats. They'd just do their
business right on top. I live in a culdesac. I don't have any roaming
pets, but between all the nieghbors, I've counted about ten cats
outside and a few dogs. What's funny is the cats don't bother the
birds, and the dogs don't bother the cats, but boy, it's funny to see
the cats and squirrels chase each other around over fences and up
trees.

someone in your area has bred cat-eating squirrels? :-)
Old 20-05-2004, 07:08 AM
tmtresh

someone in your area has bred cat-eating squirrels? :-)

Don't know, but it is quite funny. None of them eat the other, but chase
nontheless (maybe it has something to do with territory). I cheer when the
squirrel gets the better of the cat.

Old 20-05-2004, 09:05 AM
MisNomer

A few years ago our city decided to do something about the cat problem.... live
traps etc for anyone complaining - then the mice moved in. Cat poops ok as
long as it contains mice tails.

take care
Liz

Old 20-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Kathi

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:28:04 +0100, "not happy"
wrote:

We've just began getting our garden into shape , seeding/weeding etc...

Problem is, every morning we go outside & have to shovel up several fresh
cat turds. The woman next door has about half a dozen of the little vermin
..... & being as her garden ( our our neighbour on the OTHER side) is
completely concreted over ..... her pests use our soil as a kitty litter.

We have high walls ( 6ft) all around & I've even gone to the trouble of
coating them with an oily, black "non-drying" paint, knowing what vain
creatures cat's are ... but still they get in, somehow.

I've tried the various pellets, sprays & gels .... at some cost AND all to
no avail. I searched on the 'net & have seen a "cat-scarer" ( emits high
frequency noise, triggered by a P.I.R. sensor ) ..... it seems a bit
expensive, but I wondered if anyone else (here) may have one & can recommend
it as money well spent ?

Do an internet search for "Scarecrow Sprinkler" - this seems to be a
good solution although you don't define what 'expensive' is.

Here is one link - I'm sure that there are others....

http://store.yahoo.com/123ponds/scarecrow.html

HTH,
Kathi in Huntsville
Old 21-05-2004, 03:05 AM
McQualude

David Kotschessa said:

I've seen just about every solution proposed that doesn't involve
talking to the stupid cat person first.

The OP had already mentioned that she has tried talking to the neighbor in
the past.
--
McQualude
Old 21-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Registered User

Location: florida, usa

i know that there is a kind of coleus called commonly a "scaredy cat coleus". my cats dont seem to like it to much, but they got over it quick. you might want to try it.
Old 21-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Garrapata

On Tue, 18 May 2004 13:38:58 -0700, "Anna"
wrote:

I have heard that sinking plastic forks handle first around our garden will
work. Make sure the tines are up. Sounds like it might work if you put
enough of them in there.

When I lived in the Redwoods I had an unlimited supply of twigs. I
stuck them in freshly dug beds close enough together that the cats
couldn't squat, this does take a lot of twigs though
--
09 = ix