Old 18-05-2004, 11:04 PM
not happy

Default cat problem ....PLEASE HELP !!??

We've just began getting our garden into shape , seeding/weeding etc...

Problem is, every morning we go outside & have to shovel up several fresh
cat turds. The woman next door has about half a dozen of the little vermin
...... & being as her garden ( our our neighbour on the OTHER side) is
completely concreted over ..... her pests use our soil as a kitty litter.

We have high walls ( 6ft) all around & I've even gone to the trouble of
coating them with an oily, black "non-drying" paint, knowing what vain
creatures cat's are ... but still they get in, somehow.

I've tried the various pellets, sprays & gels .... at some cost AND all to
no avail. I searched on the 'net & have seen a "cat-scarer" ( emits high
frequency noise, triggered by a P.I.R. sensor ) ..... it seems a bit
expensive, but I wondered if anyone else (here) may have one & can recommend
it as money well spent ?

....... seriously, now, considering getting an air-rifle & sitting up all
night waiting to shoot the little b*stards !

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers !

Old 18-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Anna

I have heard that sinking plastic forks handle first around our garden will
work. Make sure the tines are up. Sounds like it might work if you put
enough of them in there.
Good Luck
Anna

Old 18-05-2004, 11:05 PM
Skyhooks

More than likely your community has ordinances regarding loose pets,
especially stray dogs & cats. If I were in the same boat, I'd purchase
(or rent?) a "live trap" and catch the pesty felines with a bunch of
canned tuna. Then after trapping them, I'd take them to the local
humane shelter as a "stray" cat. Your neighbors will soon be catless.

Skyhooks
hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

Old 18-05-2004, 11:59 PM
Fito

"not happy" wrote in message
[...]

Many are extoling the efficacy of cocoa shell to control stray cats. It is
very harmful to dogs though. Do a google search.

Fito

Old 19-05-2004, 01:07 AM
escapee

Go about the property again and see where they could be getting in and stuff
that with a ton of rose bush thorns. I have stapled my rose bush prunings
around my fence where the neighbor cat comes in. I spoke to the neighbors, but
they are huge assholes and have no regard for anyone but themselves. So, I do
my best to keep the cat out because it kills the birds and I'm not fond of that
at my feeders. It's not the cats' fault. Poor thing.

On Tue, 18 May 2004 21:28:04 +0100, "not happy"
opined:

Old 19-05-2004, 01:07 AM
David Hill

When this problem came up "Yet again" on uk.rec.gardening
One very good idea was to put in a small sand pit/box about 3 or 4 ft square
for the cats to use, they will go to it rather than the soil as long as it
is kept clean.
You could suggest this to your neighbour, otherwise put on in in your garden
where the cats will find it easily, whilst you will still have mess to
clear, it will be in one place and they wont be damaging the rest of the
garden.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 19-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Phisherman

I'm lucky enough to have a neighbor that shoots cats with his pellet
gun when they attempt to attack the birds at the feeder station. I
don't believe in having guns, but I grow the herb rue and cut off the
tops and spread it over the area to protect. Cats hate the smell of
rue--and I do too! The motion detector sprinklers would probably be
very effective deterrent and probably much less expensive than having
a dog.

Old 19-05-2004, 04:04 AM
madgardener

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH spring comes and fresh problems with cat turds.
College must almost be out for the semester..............g

madgardener

Old 19-05-2004, 04:04 AM
styxx374

Yeah, I would say either use a motion sensor on your sprinklers or do the
sandbox thing. Or report your neighbors to the local animal control office.

Old 19-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Salty Thumb

Skyhooks wrote in :

More than likely your community has ordinances regarding loose pets,
especially stray dogs & cats. If I were in the same boat, I'd
purchase (or rent?) a "live trap" and catch the pesty felines with a
bunch of canned tuna. Then after trapping them, I'd take them to the
local humane shelter as a "stray" cat. Your neighbors will soon be
catless.

have a good time in Hello

http://groups.msn.com/AmandasDomain/webpagethings.msnw?
action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=256
Old 19-05-2004, 01:02 PM

"not happy" wrote in message
[...]

I might try laying down some chicken wire over the preferred places as an
experiment.......

Old 19-05-2004, 03:05 PM
escapee

Not very auspicious a thing to say or feel lucky about. Oh well.

On Wed, 19 May 2004 01:29:31 GMT, Phisherman opined:

Old 19-05-2004, 04:04 PM
McQualude

"not happy" said:

Problem is, every morning we go outside & have to shovel up several
fresh cat turds. The woman next door has about half a dozen of the
little vermin ..... & being as her garden ( our our neighbour on the
OTHER side) is completely concreted over ..... her pests use our soil
as a kitty litter.

Call animal control. You are making this YOUR problem, your neighbors
chose to keep these cats, make it the neighbor's problem.
--
McQualude
Old 19-05-2004, 07:02 PM
tmtresh

I might try laying down some chicken wire over the preferred places as an
experiment.......

When I moved into my house, the "gardens" were covered with a layer of lava
rock. It was not a deterrent for the cats. They'd just do their business
right on top. I live in a culdesac. I don't have any roaming pets, but
between all the nieghbors, I've counted about ten cats outside and a few
dogs. What's funny is the cats don't bother the birds, and the dogs don't
bother the cats, but boy, it's funny to see the cats and squirrels chase
each other around over fences and up trees.