Old 22-05-2004, 12:03 AM
jim evans

Default My Honeysuckle Vine Is Developing A Strange White Fluffy Coating

Do you know what this stuff is and what the bugs are and if I need to
do something about it?

http://home.houston.rr.com/evanshome/whitestuff.htm

jim
Old 22-05-2004, 01:04 AM
David Hill

Woolly aphids
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian.old...phids_4367.jpg

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 22-05-2004, 02:02 AM
jim evans

On Sat, 22 May 2004 00:27:09 +0100, "David Hill"
wrote:

Woolly aphids
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ian.old...phids_4367.jpg

Some of the discussion on woolly aphids are consistent with this
stuff, but the only good picture I've found so far is of a woolly
alder aphid and this critter definitely is not one of these
http://www.insectimages.org/images/192x128/1435061.jpg

It's really too bad I can't get a larger shot of the little critter,
but mine is fairly flat, not round bodied (cocklebur shaped) like the
link above, and it doesn't have this long wiry hairlike stuff.

jim
Old 23-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Pam - gardengal

"jim evans" wrote in message

Do you know what this stuff is and what the bugs are and if I need to
do something about it?

http://home.houston.rr.com/evanshome/whitestuff.htm

jim

Looks like cottony scale, although I've not known honeysuckle to be
particularly troubled by this type of critter. Insecticidal soap or
ultrafine horticultural oil are the recommended treatments.

pam - gardengal