GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!" (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/62071-lets-play-name-wildflower.html)

paghat the ratgirl 24-05-2004 11:02 AM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

Here are some tiny flowering weeds or wildflowers photographed around the
edges of our property. I wonder if anyone can name any of these:

A bright blue flower, shown bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerblue_may.jpg

A bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerpurple_may.jpg

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow flowers:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

A bright orange daisy-like thing, shown bigger than life size, three
inches tall:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerorange_may.jpg

This seems to be a volunteer alyssum but its so much smaller than any
cultivated alyssum I've seen; shown twice life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildalyssum_may.jpg

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

kate 24-05-2004 03:05 PM

paghat the ratgirl wrote:

A bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerpurple_may.jpg

My guess is a vetch of some sort.

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow flowers:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

I have no idea but it looks like a ground cover that comes up in one
spot every year here.

This seems to be a volunteer alyssum but its so much smaller than any
cultivated alyssum I've seen; shown twice life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildalyssum_may.jpg

Reminds me of feverfew, but probably isn't.

Kate

Cheryl Isaak 24-05-2004 04:06 PM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

On 5/24/04 9:33 AM, in article , "kate"
wrote:

paghat the ratgirl wrote:

A bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerpurple_may.jpg

My guess is a vetch of some sort.

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow flowers:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

I have no idea but it looks like a ground cover that comes up in one
spot every year here.

This seems to be a volunteer alyssum but its so much smaller than any
cultivated alyssum I've seen; shown twice life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildalyssum_may.jpg

Reminds me of feverfew, but probably isn't.

Actually that was my thought too - something close to the species!
Cheryl

escapee 24-05-2004 07:04 PM

paghat the ratgirl wrote:

A bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerpurple_may.jpg

Looks like a prairie salvia of some sort.

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow flowers:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

Could it be horse herb?

This seems to be a volunteer alyssum but its so much smaller than any
cultivated alyssum I've seen; shown twice life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildalyssum_may.jpg

Frog fruit has darker centers, but do a search to see if it is similar.

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?

Pen 24-05-2004 11:02 PM

(paghat the ratgirl) wrote in message ...
Here are some tiny flowering weeds or wildflowers photographed around the
edges of our property. I wonder if anyone can name any of these:

A bright blue flower, shown bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerblue_may.jpg

Phacelia campanularia

A bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerpurple_may.jpg

Linaria purpurea ?

David Hill 25-05-2004 12:06 AM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

"........ http://www.paghat.com/images/wildalyssum_may.jpg

Reminds me of feverfew, but probably isn't.

Actually that was my thought too - something close to the species!
Cheryl .........."

You must have a very different form of feverfew to that which I know,
see http://www.bluewisteria.co.uk/bluewi...ers/index.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

gregpresley 25-05-2004 06:02 AM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

phacelia
linaria
?
calendula (or else some arctotis returning to species)
alyssum - this is how the first flowers look in spring in my garden.

Sed5555 25-05-2004 06:02 AM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

A bright blue flower, shown bigger than life size:

resembles bugloss (Boraginaceae)An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild
groundcover with eency yellow flowers:

oxalis corniculata
A bright orange daisy-like thing, shown bigger than life size, three
inches tall:

resembles gazania (Gazania rigens)
sed5555

Cheryl Isaak 25-05-2004 12:06 PM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

On 5/24/04 6:34 PM, in article , "David
Hill" wrote:

"........ http://www.paghat.com/images/wildalyssum_may.jpg

Reminds me of feverfew, but probably isn't.

Actually that was my thought too - something close to the species!
Cheryl .........."

You must have a very different form of feverfew to that which I know,
see http://www.bluewisteria.co.uk/bluewi...ers/index.html

David,
I used to grow feverfew - if you let the seedlings self seed they looked a
bit like that - tiny flowers. The leaves might have helped with getting a
better ID.

Cheryl

paghat 25-05-2004 04:02 PM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

In article ,
(paghat the ratgirl) wrote:

Here are some tiny flowering weeds or wildflowers photographed around the
edges of our property. I wonder if anyone can name any of these:

A bright blue flower, shown bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerblue_may.jpg

Thanks to all who've assisted. This one was correctly identified as
Phacelia campanularia, Desert Bluebell

A bright purple pea-like flower, bigger than life size:
http://www.paghat.com/images/wildflowerpurple_may.jpg

This one was correctly identified as Linaria, but the species appears to
be morocanna.

The other three are still mysteries:

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow
flowers, which is certainly a locally native wildflower around Puget
Sound:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

The last two came out of a so-called western wildflower seed mix, but the
name of the mix obviously didn't mean only wildflowers actually native to
the west.

Anonny Moose 25-05-2004 05:04 PM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow
flowers, which is certainly a locally native wildflower around Puget
Sound:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

This looks like the black medic I find around my place, so my guess is
Medicago lupulina.

Karen
Portland, OR

MLEBLANCA 25-05-2004 05:13 PM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

The orange daisy I agree with Gazania

The white alyssum looks like a sweet alyssum (Lobularia) to meThe last two

paghat 25-05-2004 08:02 PM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

In article , "Anonny Moose"
wrote:

An extremely tiny (one inch tall) wild groundcover with eency yellow
flowers, which is certainly a locally native wildflower around Puget
Sound:
http://www.paghat.com/images/littleyellowweed_ap.jpg

This looks like the black medic I find around my place, so my guess is
Medicago lupulina.

Karen
Portland, OR

That was a super good guess, especially given how crappy my photo was. I
just now went out to the street edge to see if it had any of the little
black seeds of Black Medic, & it doesn't, but your suggestion led me to a
website that noted Black Medic and Least Hop Clover greatly look alike.
Turns out it's Trifolium dubium, one of the commonest early spring
roadside weeds.

One way or t'other, this newsgroup is so often so helpful.

Anonny Moose 25-05-2004 09:02 PM

"paghat" wrote in message
That was a super good guess, especially given how crappy my photo was. I
just now went out to the street edge to see if it had any of the little
black seeds of Black Medic, & it doesn't, but your suggestion led me to a
website that noted Black Medic and Least Hop Clover greatly look alike.
Turns out it's Trifolium dubium, one of the commonest early spring
roadside weeds.

One way or t'other, this newsgroup is so often so helpful.

-paghat the ratgirl

Well, gee-ez. Least Hop Clover is one I've never heard of and I'm going to
check it out. Maybe that's actually what I have!
Karen

paghat 25-05-2004 09:03 PM

Let's Play "Name That Wildflower!"

In article ,
(Sed5555) wrote:

oxalis corniculata
A bright orange daisy-like thing, shown bigger than life size, three
inches tall:

resembles gazania (Gazania rigens)
sed5555

Thanks-thanks! That's the one.

Thanks again to all helpers. There are so many things that pop up here &
there that I don't know what are, some invasive weeds, some native weeds &
wildflowers, some from wildflower seed mixes turned loose in the
neighborhood over the years. There are a half-dozen kinds of wild
crane's-bills of which I've only identified two with any certainty, & many
dandylion-like flowers that turn to fluff on plants that aren't
dandylions. It'd be so great to have the kind of knowledge, eye, & memory
that would permit one to just look at a meadow & start naming the flowers
one after another.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Visit the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl: