GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Portable Fire Pit Questions (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/62116-portable-fire-pit-questions.html)

Rick 25-05-2004 12:02 AM

Portable Fire Pit Questions

I am looking to purchase a portable fire pit for a gravel area in my
garden. I am thinking it would be nice to sit around in the evenings
and get warm and watch the flame without the chance of it starting a
forest fire during high fire season. I was wondering if anyone can
give me ideas as what to look for in that type of a device.

I'm not interested in building a permanant pit (although I could, but
that is not my interest). I assume I want one which has a chimmney, so
the smoke won't get in the eyes of someone sitting downwind of the
fire.

Any hints or tips would be appreciated. It would be nice to have one
which I could also cook on. One of the features I am looking for is
the ability for it to put out heat while it is burning. Oftentimes, in
the summer evenings where I live the nighttime temps get in the 30's
and 40's- so the ability for it to put out heat with the flame is
preferred (so I guess it should have a hood).

Thanks

Rick

SugarChile 25-05-2004 12:06 AM

Portable Fire Pit Questions

Garden centers and wood/coal/propane stove stores here sell chimeras, which
sound like they would fit the bill for you. It is a terra-cotta portable
fireplace, roughly gourd shaped (if you imagine the chimney as the neck of
the gourd) and about waist high, that sits on a metal stand. Most of them
are made in Mexico, and they have a certain rustic charm.

cheers,
Sue

--

Zone 6, South-central PA

om...

SAS567 25-05-2004 02:04 AM

Portable Fire Pit Questions

Garden centers and wood/coal/propane stove stores here sell chimeras, which
sound like they would fit the bill for you. It is a terra-cotta portable
fireplace, roughly gourd shaped (if you imagine the chimney as the neck of
the gourd) and about waist high, that sits on a metal stand. Most of them
are made in Mexico, and they have a certain rustic charm.

cheers,
Sue

I agree with Sue. We had a wood burning Chimera just like she described. We
had to put a screen on top of the chimney to stop the sparks from getting out.
It lasted 2 yrs. and then started to crack. We now have a metal one I bought at
Target with screen on all sides, but I liked the first one better. We used it a
lot and that's why I think it cracked.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Rick 25-05-2004 06:02 AM

"SugarChile" wrote in message ...
Garden centers and wood/coal/propane stove stores here sell chimeras, which
sound like they would fit the bill for you. It is a terra-cotta portable
fireplace, roughly gourd shaped (if you imagine the chimney as the neck of
the gourd) and about waist high, that sits on a metal stand. Most of them
are made in Mexico, and they have a certain rustic charm.

Sue-

Do you have any actual experience with fire pits? I'd like to hear
from people who have them, so they can tell me the pluses and minuses
of them. I have done a search on the web and have seen many types of
fire pits- but I was curious of anyone's actual experience.

Thanks anyway for the advice.

Rick