Old 28-05-2004, 02:03 AM
color_me_

Default recommendation wanted for a blue perennial to give as a gift -

hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine
Old 28-05-2004, 07:02 AM
MisNomer

The problem with Iris is that she only blooms in the early spring and not
throughout the summer. They are nice though. My iris are purple, and yellow.

http://members.shaw.ca/misnomer/picsonly/iris.jpg
(very big picture)

The neighbor remarked that "isn't it wonderful what a little bit of water will
do"

The flax has blue flowers, tiny delicate little flowers, wind blows and the
petals blow off, next day, all new blooms.

http://members.shaw.ca/misnomer/picsonly/poppy.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/misnomer/picsonly/poppy2.jpg

take care
Liz

Old 28-05-2004, 07:03 AM
junkyardcat

Hi

I have some Tall Phlox that is blue. I like blue flowers the best, and this
one is my favorite...it blooms all Summer too I don't know whether it
grows in every zone or not, but I am in Texas, where it gets really HOT in
the Summer

Hope this helps
Angie

om...

Old 28-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Kay Lancaster

On 27 May 2004 17:21:35 -0700, color_me_ wrote:
hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

The choice of plant rather depends on where you are, and what
soil and water and light conditions are available. There are,
for instance, various species and cultivars of Iris that do
well in various parts of the US... but most require fairly
full sun. Some cultivars of the common bearded iris rebloom
in some areas in the fall... that's a nice bonus.

You might also want to think about what color you think "blue" is.
There are very few really blue flowered plants... delphiniums, iris,
Lithodora, some Salvia, Gentiana, some Meconopsis, etc., but the majority of
"blue" flowers are actually in the lavender or purple shades.

My suggestion: go to some of the best nurseries in your area, tell
them what you're looking for and what sort of garden your friend
has, and ask them what they'd recommend.

Kay

Old 28-05-2004, 12:02 PM
Jim Elbrecht

On 27 May 2004 17:21:35 -0700, (color_me_) wrote:

hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

Balloon Flowers last longer- Platycodon grandiflorum.
http://www.nargs.org/potm/potm_aug01.html has a short version. [7-10
inches] I don't know what variety I have, but they are 18-24 inches
tall.

In zone 5-6, mine start to show a little color right after my Iris are
done. . . mid-late June. They continue to blossom through August if
it doesn't dry out too much. [I never water my gardens]

I'm not sure I'd call them 'strong' though. Mine don't flop much--
but certainly more than the Iris.

Jim
Old 29-05-2004, 04:07 AM
madgardener

there seems to be some impressive Delphiniums at Lowes this year in sky blue
double flowers. I got myself three of them and tucked them into spaces I
barely had room for because they were BLUE and almost three foot tall. I
staked them.............
madgardener
om...

Old 29-05-2004, 07:02 AM
Pen

Bare root irises tend to turn to mush, so plant them as soon as they
arrive. Here's a couple of standards irises:

'Autumn Circus'
http://www.vandycks.com/fall/z33210.31238.phtml
'Song of Norway'
http://plantsdatabase.com/showpicture/27981/

Japanese irises can get pretty big too.
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~ianblack/japiris/

For something really out of the ordinary -- if you have the right
climate, try blue poppies:
http://www.christiealpines.co.uk/Pages/Meconopsis.html
Old 30-05-2004, 05:02 AM
B & J

"color_me_" wrote in message
om...
hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

One of my favorite blue perennials that blooms all summer is salvia
guaranitica. It grows four feet or a little more in height and can be
slightly invasive. It suffer from no fungus that I know of, and few insects
bother its foliage. Shearing back the tops with they become a bit ratty
looking will bring on a fresh burst of blooms. As a bonus, hummingbirds love
it.

Here are sites with pictures:

http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/lam/salgu/

http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/salv_gua.cfm

John

Old 30-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Vox Humana

"B & J" wrote in message
"color_me_" wrote in message
om...
hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

One of my favorite blue perennials that blooms all summer is salvia
guaranitica. It grows four feet or a little more in height and can be
slightly invasive. It suffer from no fungus that I know of, and few

insects
bother its foliage. Shearing back the tops with they become a bit ratty
looking will bring on a fresh burst of blooms. As a bonus, hummingbirds

love
it.

Here are sites with pictures:

Another possibility is Stokesia laevis (Stokes' aster)
http://floridata.com/ref/s/stok_lae.cfm I'm not sure that it qualifies as
tall, but it is lovely and long blooming.

Old 30-05-2004, 02:03 PM
Janice

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:05:45 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

"color_me_" wrote in message
. com...
hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

One of my favorite blue perennials that blooms all summer is salvia
guaranitica. It grows four feet or a little more in height and can be
slightly invasive. It suffer from no fungus that I know of, and few insects
bother its foliage. Shearing back the tops with they become a bit ratty
looking will bring on a fresh burst of blooms. As a bonus, hummingbirds love
it.

Here are sites with pictures:

http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/lam/salgu/

http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/salv_gua.cfm

Neither web page worked.. both "page cannot be displayed"
John

Old 30-05-2004, 03:02 PM
Janice

On 27 May 2004 17:21:35 -0700, (color_me_) wrote:

hi there... i'm planning on giving a flower as a gift, to a neighbor,
who works a lot in his yard, so i want it to be something he can
plant, that will bloom every year... also i'd like it to be blue &
preferably, relatively big tall and strong. i'm wondering about an
iris. any recommendations? many thanks, ~raine

It all depends on what you consider "tall" .. and how true to blue you
need.

There is a perennial scabiosa that's a lavenderish blue with a lighter
center, and it will grow into a spreading and around 1.5 feet tall

There are Michelmas daisies that come in two colors, a pink and the
one that is well.. aster blue, both have a goldish yellow eye, they
grow 4 - 5 feet tall here, and they will spread, but not
honorifically. at least not for me. Easy enough to spot and pull out.
They do not bloom until fall though.. the do attract a lot of bees, so
that's great if you want pollinators, and you're not allergic.

Cranesbill Geraniums.. lots of different sorts of those, blue, white,
or magenta, but they do spread if you don't dead head.

Delphiniums come in many shades of blue.. sky, lavender, dark dark
indigo, with or without white "bees" or eyes. They do get real
tall..which means Stake 'em up!! or put some multi level plant rings
for them to grow through.. (upside down cheapie store tomato cages
that the legs have broken off of or gotten too bent up) ..running some
wires across them a couple directions and letting them grow up through
them helps keep them from falling over..well even used like a tomato
cage works well too..particularly with the wires across the rings.
Delphiniums can be "bug magnets" I guess, but I didn't notice when I
had a couple. More may be a problem or a bigger problem in some areas
more than others. I remember reading if you wanted a bug free garden
you shouldn't grow hybrid tea roses or delphiniums. LOL

There are those columbines, but if you have thrips or leaf miner in
your area, skip those!

Gentians are BLUE of course, don't know how tall they get or where
your area is.

Iris come in many colors and heights and types, as well as single and
repeat bloomers.

Clematis, General Sikorski is supposed to be close to sky blue.

Blue flax are beautiful, but in a hot climate, they're shriveled by
the time I get up. .. although there are supposed to be some that stay
open longer.

I have an anchusa that is very blue, small flowers, and stiff hairy
leaves, anchusa azurea I think, really a biennial and reseeds readily,
and will grow anywhere from a single stem 1.5 feet tall, to a larger
multi-branched plant about 3 - 4 feet tall. They bloom early.. like
NOW.. when they've come up from last year's plants, spring sprouted
seed will come on anywhere in the year from late May to June.

There is Centaurea Montana a perennial version of Bachelor's buttons
or Corn flowers...very blue..2 - 3 feet tall.

You can always mix in a few annuals for this year if you can't find a
perennial that's in bloom this year.. Blue Bedder Salvia are really
nice.. silverish foliage and Very blue flowers against that foliage is
wonderful..

Might chat with him a bit to see his taste.. does he like the big
bold flowers, or can he appreciate smaller flowers. Many people don't
quite "get" those small flowers in spikes of flowers on veronicas. I
really don't care for double flowers, but I can appreciate many sizes
of flowers.

Then you can always go to the Blue cast leaves of a Hosta sieboldiani
and there is one larger but .. the ones with HUGE seersucker like
leaves are mighty impressive, and get pretty tall. Granted these
aren't blue flowered..or .. they may be.. pale, most are white though,
but he leaves are the key element there, and might be ..depending on
his tastes.something he'd appreciate as it's Big and bold and takes
up SPACE. Hopefully slugs aren't a major problem where you live..as
they like hostas of course.

There are lots of others .. but don't know what zone you're in.
Mecanopsis betonicifolia Tibetan Blue Poppy Zone 7-8 .. always grabbed
my attention, but I'm in the wrong zone. It says: Best in moist but
well drained rich acidic soil. Site in partial shade with shelter fro
cold winds. May be short lived in hot or dry locations. Divide
clumps after flowering to maintain vigor.. It's a clump forming
perennial bearing large saucer shaped flowers that are clear blue.. or
purple blue or white. So you'd need to know they were Blue, they are
gorgeous if you have the spot for them 4 feet tall too!

Well I'll shaddup now ;-)

Janice
Old 30-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Jim Elbrecht

On Sun, 30 May 2004 06:34:56 -0600, Janice
wrote:

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:05:45 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

-snip-
Here are sites with pictures:

http://www.hort.net/gallery/view/lam/salgu/

http://www.floridata.com/ref/s/salv_gua.cfm

Neither web page worked.. both "page cannot be displayed"

It looks like hort.net might be down this morning-- I take that back.
I can ping it. . .and a tracert takes 22 hops, but makes it. Maybe
it has a lot of domains blocked?

I get the second one OK.

Jim
Old 30-05-2004, 10:05 PM
B & J

"Janice" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:05:45 -0500, "B & J"
wrote:

"color_me_" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Sorry about that. Try going to Google and typing in "salvia guaranitica."
That's what I did when I copied and listed the sites. There are three or
four which have pictures.

John