GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Feeding caught fish to chickens (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/62577-feeding-caught-fish-chickens.html)

Ignoramus14990 28-05-2004 06:02 PM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is
damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.

So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good
idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?

Larry Caldwell 28-05-2004 07:04 PM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

In article , ignoramus14990
@NOSPAM.14990.invalid (Ignoramus14990) says...
Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is
damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.

So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good
idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?

They should love it, but don't let a half-eaten fish carcass lay around
for days. Not only will it breed disease, it will stink!

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

Ignoramus14990 28-05-2004 07:04 PM

In article t, Larry Caldwell wrote:
In article , ignoramus14990
@NOSPAM.14990.invalid (Ignoramus14990) says...
Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is
damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.

So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good
idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?

They should love it, but don't let a half-eaten fish carcass lay around
for days. Not only will it breed disease, it will stink!

Thanks. I think that I will grind that fish in the grinder along with
other kitchen scraps, which I grind anyway.

Gloria Lenon 28-05-2004 08:03 PM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

Chicken then tastes like fish! It's true! In Peru they use fish meal for
chicken feed - and it tastes like fish!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Ignoramus14990 28-05-2004 08:03 PM

In article , Gloria Lenon wrote:
Chicken then tastes like fish! It's true! In Peru they use fish meal for
chicken feed - and it tastes like fish!

how about their eggs?

Ann 28-05-2004 08:03 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:06:42 +0000, Ignoramus14990 wrote:

Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is
damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.

So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good
idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?

Would also depend on where you catch the fish and the species. There is a
mercury advisory on some fish in the COE lake near me ... only one fish
meal per month for children and pregnant wormen.

Ignoramus14990 28-05-2004 08:04 PM

In article , Ann wrote:
On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:06:42 +0000, Ignoramus14990 wrote:

Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is
damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.

So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good
idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?

Would also depend on where you catch the fish and the species. There is a
mercury advisory on some fish in the COE lake near me ... only one fish
meal per month for children and pregnant wormen.

Well, I figure that since I do not eat my chickens (I keep them for
eggs), there is no danger here, since eggs do not accumulate mercury.

Cereus-validus 28-05-2004 09:02 PM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

Who cares?

Are you trying to create your own chicken of the sea?

This is a gardening newsgroup not poultry pointers.

Which stinks worse chicken shit or dead fish?

Cereus-validus 28-05-2004 09:02 PM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

Are you hoping the chicken eggs will taste like caviar?

"Ignoramus14990" wrote in message
In article , Gloria Lenon

'enry VIII 28-05-2004 10:02 PM

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Who cares?

Are you trying to create your own chicken of the sea?

This is a gardening newsgroup not poultry pointers.

Which stinks worse chicken shit or dead fish?

From the tone of your post, I would say neither, your breath is probably
worst than both. VBG

'enry VIII

Susan \(CobbersMom\) 28-05-2004 11:02 PM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message Who cares?
This is a gardening newsgroup not poultry pointers.
Which stinks worse chicken shit or dead fish?

Well to carry the thread to a logical end, the OP might have thought EITHER
group might have some good insights to his question. I.E. garden =
fertilizer = chicken shit or fish or fish in chicken shit = can a chicken
eat fish.
As for which stinks worse, I'd say neither. Your unkind and uncalled for
reply stinks worse than both choices.
Sue
Northern Wisconsin
Invision Whirled Peas

Brian 29-05-2004 12:06 AM

"Ann" wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2004 16:06:42 +0000, Ignoramus14990 wrote:

Sometimes I catch fish that is too cumbersome to cook. And yet it is
damaged enough by the fishing hook to release it back to the lake.

So, I would like to simply feed it to the chickens. Is that a good
idea? Can chickens pick at a un-filleted whole fish?

Would also depend on where you catch the fish and the species. There is a
mercury advisory on some fish in the COE lake near me ... only one fish
meal per month for children and pregnant wormen.

The eggs can readily have a fishy taste but only if fish accounts for too
high a percentage of their diet. Take into account that there is already
some fish meal in most prop. chicken feeds.
Brian

Cereus-validus 29-05-2004 02:02 AM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

Why don't you kiss my giblets, Octohank?

Just stick to something you are good at like flinging cow pies at cars on
the interstate or farting the national anthem?

"'enry VIII" wrote in message

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Who cares?

Are you trying to create your own chicken of the sea?

This is a gardening newsgroup not poultry pointers.

Which stinks worse chicken shit or dead fish?

From the tone of your post, I would say neither, your breath is probably
worst than both. VBG

'enry VIII

'enry VIII 29-05-2004 02:04 AM

Feeding caught fish to chickens

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
Why don't you kiss my giblets, Octohank?

Just stick to something you are good at like flinging cow pies at cars on
the interstate or farting the national anthem?

I tried that but I couldn't get them out of your mother fast enough! VBG

'enry VIII

Ann 29-05-2004 03:04 AM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 18:50:18 +0000, Ignoramus14990 wrote:
Ann wrote:

Would also depend on where you catch the fish and the species. There is a
mercury advisory on some fish in the COE lake near me ... only one fish
meal per month for children and pregnant wormen.

Well, I figure that since I do not eat my chickens (I keep them for
eggs), there is no danger here, since eggs do not accumulate mercury.

No offense meant, but I was thinking of the health of the chickens. The
thought of a flock of mercury-demented chickens is not a pretty picture. g
(However, mercury is found in the eggs of fish-eating birds.)