Old 29-05-2004, 05:04 PM
BottleCap

Default Leaf Miners in my Columbine

Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I
know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But my
whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it
will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any way
of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

Old 29-05-2004, 06:03 PM
Vox Humana

"BottleCap" wrote in message
Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I
know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But

my
whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it
will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any

way
of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Its too late to do treat the infested leaves. You can cut the plant off to
the ground and dispose of the leaves. New leaves will appear. I usually
see some leaf miner damage after the plants flower. This year it stared
very early and the plants are quite heavily infested.

Old 29-05-2004, 06:08 PM

we dont do anything for the columbine, but when they went for the river birch we put
out systemic insecticide and it took 2 years but wiped em out. Ingrid

"BottleCap" wrote:

Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I
know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But my
whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it
will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any way
of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 29-05-2004, 07:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"BottleCap" wrote in message
Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I
know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But

my
whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it
will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any

way
of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

Unfortunately, columbine leaf miners are not affected by insecticidal soaps
as they reside INSIDE the leaves and are untouched by spraying. I have yet
to see them kill a plant, though. This spring, the miners haven't been a
problem but columbine cutworms have - pretty odd to see all these blooming
columbines with nothing but skeletonized foliage to offset them. Just cut
off the affected foliage - new leaves will be produced almost immediately
and should develop past the normal life cycle of the miners.

pam - gardengal

Old 29-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Beecrofter

"BottleCap" wrote in message ...
Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I
know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But my
whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it
will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any way
of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

Never seen a leaf miner infestation kill columbines yet.
I'd imagine you would need to use a systemic unless you were able to
time the emergence of the adult leaf miners but like I said I never
seen a plant taken down by them.

Old 30-05-2004, 12:04 AM
gregpresley

Hi Pam, thanks for the info columbine cutworms - I have several plants
which literally lost the majority of their foliage in ONE NIGHT. You're
correct however. The plants are sending up new foliage from the base. Do
you think our heat wave of March and April accelerated the growth of these
buggers? (I long for the heat and sunshine now - it's been cloudy and rainy
for nearly 2 weeks now, and today is FREEZING).

Old 30-05-2004, 01:04 AM
Pam - gardengal

"gregpresley" wrote in message
Hi Pam, thanks for the info columbine cutworms - I have several plants
which literally lost the majority of their foliage in ONE NIGHT. You're
correct however. The plants are sending up new foliage from the base. Do
you think our heat wave of March and April accelerated the growth of these
buggers? (I long for the heat and sunshine now - it's been cloudy and

rainy
for nearly 2 weeks now, and today is FREEZING).

I dunno, Greg - I have always had a problem with cutworms and columbine
regardless of how balmy the spring may be. They don't seem to bother too
much else, though, and I have a policy of peaceful coexistance with most
garden critters - unless I catch them in the act, then all bets are off!!

Spooky weather - tornadoes in the PNW, what next?!? And of course the
monsoons have to arrive when the only reliable piece of transportation I
have is my little antique convertible with the hole in the top and the
defunct windshield wiper motor. Nice timing!

pam - gardengal

Old 30-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"BottleCap" in
:

Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners.
I know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard.
But my whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some
action soon it will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the
trick? Is there any way of getting rid of these little things? Any
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

there are lots of things to grow. there are also lots of aquilegia
species. some might be more tolerant of miners. do you like the
aquilegia fo flowers or foliage? for both?

Old 30-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Gardñ@Gardñ.info

"Pam - gardengal" in news:1p8uc.10521$IB.6910
@attbi_s04:

And of course the
monsoons have to arrive when the only reliable piece of transportation I
have is my little antique convertible with the hole in the top and the
defunct windshield wiper motor.

http://images.google.com/images?sour...t&q=nash+metro
??
:-)
Old 30-05-2004, 02:02 PM
Janice

On Sat, 29 May 2004 22:46:21 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

"gregpresley" wrote in message
Hi Pam, thanks for the info columbine cutworms - I have several plants
which literally lost the majority of their foliage in ONE NIGHT. You're
correct however. The plants are sending up new foliage from the base. Do
you think our heat wave of March and April accelerated the growth of these
buggers? (I long for the heat and sunshine now - it's been cloudy and

rainy
for nearly 2 weeks now, and today is FREEZING).

I dunno, Greg - I have always had a problem with cutworms and columbine
regardless of how balmy the spring may be. They don't seem to bother too
much else, though, and I have a policy of peaceful coexistance with most
garden critters - unless I catch them in the act, then all bets are off!!

Cutworms with older established plants? I've never had trouble with
cutworms, or even leaf miners, but thrips suck all the color out of
the blossoms, so I finally had to realize I need to only grow white
ones!! Or go out and catch minute pirate bugs to eat the thrips.. or
spend money LOTS of money to buy the minute pirate bugs to eat all
the thrip that suck on columbine and petunia flowers, and gladioli,
onions.. etc.! Only works if there is an abundant source of pests..
or food, .. all depends on which perspective you're looking at it
from.. bug or gardener.! And you need to not use any pesticides or
you're going to waste your time and money!

Janice

Old 31-05-2004, 05:07 AM
BottleCap

Thanks Guys for all the suggestions !!! I removed all the infected leaves
and just for giggles I did spray with insecticidal soap. I hope the plant
will recover. Thanks Again Guys !

"BottleCap" wrote in message
Hello

I have one single columbine that has a pretty bad case of leaf miners. I
know usually you can just pick off the infested leaves and discard. But

my
whole plant is taken over. I'm afraid if I don't take some action soon it
will kill my plant. Would insecticidal soap do the trick? Is there any

way
of getting rid of these little things? Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
BC

[IMG] code is On

Golden-spurred Columbine - columbine.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 10 15-06-2007 12:47 AM
leaf miners chris Gardening 0 03-09-2004 09:48 AM
Leaf miners on pepper plants Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 5 18-05-2004 08:18 PM
Leaf Miners Janice United Kingdom 4 21-07-2003 07:55 PM
Website guide to leaf miners Andy Mabbett United Kingdom 0 09-03-2003 12:00 AM