Old 29-05-2004, 07:02 PM
gord

Default my garden has tons of snails

what the heck does this mean. they are everywhere not sure if they are
causing any damage or not.

anybody know?

Old 29-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Cereus-validus

Of course they are causing damage. Snails eat all kinds of plants.

Boil the varmints in water, season with garlic and butter and watch that
escargot!!!

Old 29-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Richard Cline

In article , "gord"
wrote:

I have kept chickens and ducks and they love to eat snails. We do not
see any in the orchard where the birds roam.

Dick

Old 29-05-2004, 10:03 PM
'enry VIII

Get a couple of baby Geese, they will eat the slugs and also any weed in the
garden.

'enry VIII

Old 30-05-2004, 12:04 AM
Vox Humana

"gord" wrote in message
what the heck does this mean. they are everywhere not sure if they are
causing any damage or not.

anybody know?

If they are "everywhere" they are thriving on some type of plant life. If
the damage isn't apparent, then you don't have to do anything. Constantly
moist soil and heavy much give them someplace to hide. If they become a
problem, you can treat the area with an iron phosphate based snail and slug
killer. It will cause them to stop eating and die. The product is safe
around children, pets, and wildlife unlike the metaldehyde based products.

Old 30-05-2004, 05:03 AM
amsc

Hi Vox. You know that old advice about putting beer in a shallow dish
where the slug/snail damage is? It works. Also read if you can put
down ashes and/or twigs, the critters can't crawl over it. Good luck,
Ann

Old 30-05-2004, 06:02 AM
David Ross

gord wrote:

what the heck does this mean. they are everywhere not sure if they are
causing any damage or not.

anybody know?

Some plants (e.g., agapanthus) rarely show damage. However, snails
can destroy asparagus, narcissus, iris, many other bulbs, and most
seedlings. In orange and lemon orchards, they climb the trees and
eat the bark, girdling the trees and killing them. I have seen
them climb my peach tree and severely damage ripening fruit.

See http://axp.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107500111.html regarding
damage and control.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/

complies with Web standards. See http://www.mozilla.org/.
Old 30-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Zemedelec

Feed them on cornmeal for a few days to purify them, then have a "snailbake".
zemedelec