Old 31-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Ernest Wesson

Default Chinese Windmill Palm

Newbie here. Have a 3 ft Tr. Fortunensis outdoors. Started it from a
seedling, keeps going, surviving West Coast Vancouver BC winters! We love
it.
Question: Are we supposed to trim the tree by lopping off bottom branches?
There are still living branches at the base of the runk, but others we have
seen seem to be pruned part way up the trunk. Any suggestions? Ernie

Old 31-05-2004, 07:03 PM
how

"Ernest Wesson" wrote in message
snips
Have a 3 ft Tr. Fortunensis outdoors. Are we supposed to trim the tree by

lopping off bottom branches?
There are still living branches at the base of the runk, but others we

have
seen seem to be pruned part way up the trunk. Any suggestions? Ernie

Hi,
If it is green leave it. If it is brown cut it. If it is yellow wait till it
turns brown. Ideally only one frond will be yellowing, if more are yellow
then this indicates a need for fertilizer with minor elements. This is so
for all palms not just Trachycarpus fortunei.
hth, how
to reply remember no NEWS is good

[IMG] code is On

trachycarpus fortunei(windmill palm) sphinx Gardening 3 03-08-2009 10:27 AM
How to smooth the trunk of a windmill palm tree? [email protected] Gardening 4 10-07-2006 03:58 PM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 01:11 AM
Windmill Palm question Paul Gardening 5 17-08-2005 01:08 PM
Unwell Chinese Windmill Palm Colin Spooner United Kingdom 2 04-04-2003 10:32 PM