Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 AM
junkyardcat

Default Grasshoppers

Is there anything I can put on my garden to deter or kill grasshoppers,
without hurting my ladybugs? I am starting to see hundreds of small
grasshoppers, and I know they will grow up to be big ones and destroy my
plants! But I have so many ladybugs in the garden which are very beneficial,
so I don't want to kill them too! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angie

Old 02-06-2004, 02:03 PM
escapee

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 01:18:16 -0500, "junkyardcat"
opined:

Is there anything I can put on my garden to deter or kill grasshoppers,
without hurting my ladybugs? I am starting to see hundreds of small
grasshoppers, and I know they will grow up to be big ones and destroy my
plants! But I have so many ladybugs in the garden which are very beneficial,
so I don't want to kill them too! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angie

This is the perfect time to use a biological control called Nosema locustaea.
It is sold under the brand name of Nolo Bait. It is a toxin carried in a soy
and/or wheat substrate which grasshoppers love. They eat it and die. Since
they are also cannibals, the larger hoppers which eat the dead ones also get
infected. It is very specific to grasshoppers. The time you put it out is when
you start to see they nymphs. One container may cost up to 20 dollars, but it
is enough for an acre.

Victoria

Need a good, cheap, knowledge expanding present for a friend?
Old 03-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Sed5555

Is there anything I can put on my garden to deter or kill grasshoppers,
without hurting my ladybugs?

A microbial insecticide called Nosema locustae is sold under various trade
names for grasshopper control. This is a protozoan disease that occurs
naturally among grasshoppers and has been commercialized by mass production
under laboratory conditions. It does not affect other, beneficial, insects in
your garden.
sed5555
Old 03-06-2004, 09:02 AM
Janice

wrote:

Is there anything I can put on my garden to deter or kill grasshoppers,
without hurting my ladybugs? I am starting to see hundreds of small
grasshoppers, and I know they will grow up to be big ones and destroy my
plants! But I have so many ladybugs in the garden which are very beneficial,
so I don't want to kill them too! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angie

Nosema Iocustae

https://w108.webminders.com/buglogic...i onNumber=42

It claims up to 90% effective but .. that would probably be expecting
a bit much.

Another page that just has some useful info.. and mentions nosema
locustae says 50%.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/site..._controls.html

Old 04-06-2004, 04:03 AM
oakrocker

I've had grasshopper problems every summer here in the Arkansas Ozarks.
This year I tried Semaspore Bait from Nitron Industries here in
Northwest Arkansas. It is also "Nosema locustae" as was stated in other
posts. I spread it about 6-8 weeks ago, so far, so good. I have seen a
couple tiny grasshoppers but not the destruction I have seen in past
years. According to there literature, it will carry on over at least
another year and is not harmful to humans, pets or wildlife. Their
website is www.nitron.com They have many other natural products as well.

Judy

junkyardcat wrote:

Is there anything I can put on my garden to deter or kill grasshoppers,
without hurting my ladybugs? I am starting to see hundreds of small
grasshoppers, and I know they will grow up to be big ones and destroy my
plants! But I have so many ladybugs in the garden which are very beneficial,
so I don't want to kill them too! Any ideas?

Thanks!
Angie

[IMG] code is On

Grasshoppers attacking my beans Witchy Mama Australia 2 30-11-2004 01:12 AM
Grasshoppers attacking my beans Witchy Mama Australia 0 27-11-2004 08:19 AM
teeny-tiny grasshoppers... Brigitte J. Edible Gardening 4 09-06-2004 05:04 PM
grasshoppers Julie and Deb Australia 22 13-03-2004 11:40 PM
Grasshoppers & garlic butter John Hall Gardening 8 25-08-2003 02:02 AM